Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default CMMG conversion kit: what ammo do you use and does it work well?

So I picked up one of those CMMG conversion kits for the AR style rife, that I don't own.
    My question is: what ammo are people using with it, and what have they found is or isn't consistent. I know the paperwork says Federal 36gr plated, which I tried, but I didn't find it to be all that accurate. In comparison the same ammo out of my Henry Golden Boy is damn near a tack driver (literally, I can put rounds in the same hole fairly easily), but it seemed to be all over the place through the conversion kit. I tried it in two different uppers, but the results were the same. Is it just a limitation of the CMMG kit? Or are there other rounds people have found to be more accurate.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

Default Re: CMMG conversion kit: what ammo do you use and does it work well?

I have one and have only used it a few times. Mine was also not very accurate. .22's were really expensive and hard to find for a while so I haven't shot it a whole lot. It was pretty reliable. I know I've used Federal and Remington. Remington are pretty bad in any of my guns. Accuracy probably lacks due to the barrel twist rate if I had to guess. I guess most .22 rifles have a twist rate of 1:16. My AR is 1:7.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Northampton County)

It's partly bullet diameter, bore diameter, twist rate and freebore.

22LR
    Bullet .2225
    Bore .217 groove .222
    Twist 1-16

.223/5.56
    Bullet .224
    Bore .219 groove .224
    Twist typically 1-7 to 1-12

I don't know about the CMMG unit but my Atchison conversion is a smooth bore from the case mouth to where the insert contacts the end of the chamber at the shoulder/case mouth junction. Then there is the freebore from the throat and leade to the rifling.

Being slightly smaller in diameter and the long freebore don't help and the high twist rate may make a lead bullet jump the rifling. Over spinning a bullet shouldn't hurt accuracy unless the bullet has poor concentricity or unbalanced construction.

That being said many get pretty good accuracy with their conversions. Mine does OK, probably about 2-3 MOA, never measured it and I only shoot it 25-50 yards. Some of that is definitely shooter related as I don't get that much trigger time.

My most reliable is CCI Blazer, the bulk 40 grain standard load. I should try some other stuff, maybe I can get a bit smaller groups. Or maybe I just need more practice.

I'd try a few different brands and loads to see if you get any improvement.

Can't remember who makes it but you can get a die for your reloading press that can bump up the bullet diameter and even change the nose profile as well. There is also one that uses a mallet. That one is made by Paco or Pancho or something like that. They both are advertised as accuracy enhancers.

Good luck.

Stuart

Edit:

Here's the Pactool link. http://pacotools.com/tool_discriptions
    I lost the info for the guy who makes the reloading press die. I wanted to get one a few years back but never got around to ordering one.
    Last edited by flygrimm; October 13th, 2018 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Additional information

(Wyoming County)

^Flygrimm nailed it.

but the cmmg kit with a binary trigger sure is fun or so I heard
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Mine shoots pretty much everything including Golden bullets which suck. CCI Mini mags and standard velocity shot the best. It's a fun plinker and not much of a tack driver for the reasons stated above regarding the bore diameter. I just picked up a dedicated .22lr upper from PSA for $260 and hope to see much improved accuracy.
    Last edited by Hodgie; October 13th, 2018 at 11:34 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I had one for a couple weeks. Was extremely finicky and I sold it. Bought a 15/22 shortly thereafter and have been happier.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    I had one for a couple weeks. Was extremely finicky and I sold it. Bought a 15/22 shortly thereafter and have been happier.
    Dedicated .22 rifle is always the better option.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Mine shoots pretty much everything including Golden bullets which suck. CCI Mini mags and standard velocity shot the best. It's a fun plinker and not much of a tack driver for the reasons stated above regarding the bore diameter. I just picked up a dedicated .2222lr upper from PSA for $260 and hope to see much improved accuracy.
    I hope you will do a review! Thats a much better price than I've seen for a CMMG upper or TacSOL
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I hope you will do a review! Thats a much better price than I've seen for a CMMG upper or TacSOL
    This is the one I went with, it's 8.5" and is complete with BCG and charging handle. It's pretty damn nice little package. I'm going to try and get it assembled next week and get the red dot sighted in.

It was $269.99 with free shipping. I ordered last Thursday and had it in my hands this past Tuesday.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165449748.html