Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Default The 03 Springfield

When I was a kid, after WW2, my father bought 4 ( still in cosmoline ) for $35. each.Three were sold over the years; but I kept one ( still full military ). What a great rifle. Now were they rebuilt or still original; I do not know, but the one I own is totally matched. The challenge was having the Kahles telescopic sight mounted without drilling. The mount is a bit heavy, and adds weight to an already heavy rifle; but I do sandbag - distance shooting anyway. On still days I often use sabot rounds. What an amazing round; but light, and prone to wander if the wind is up. Still, 4,000+ fps is something else. Some irony; the Kahles telescopic sight cost many times more than the rifle, & I bought it used. Kahles | Rifle Scopes | Scope Covers & Sunshades -MidwayUSA
    https://www.midwayusa.com/kahles/b?bid=1923
    Last edited by Jimsouth33; October 13th, 2018 at 02:46 PM.

(Butler County)

Default Re: The 03 Springfield

So you put a $2k scope on a $35 rifle? JK LOL. '03's are great guns and capable of good accuracy.

(Luzerne County)

Not an 03....but an 03A3........love shooting mine. Actually, I was thinking of taking it to the range this weekend. I got this one from the CMP several years ago, for about $500 or so.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    So you put a $2k scope on a $35 rifle? JK LOL. '03's are great guns and capable of good accuracy.
    Considering the rifle was 9.9 cosmetically, it was well worth it. I paid $1,400. for the Kahles. Beyond accurate. Worth much more, even used.

(Luzerne County)

Great rifles. I shot my first sub-moa Group with an ‘03 and the aperture on the ladder sight.
    Question....always asked about the 1903: Manufacturer? Serial # (first three digits).
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Chester County)

Nice rifle. I have shot a refurbished model with Criterion barrel. Tack driver.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsouth33 View Post
    When I was a kid, after WW2, my father bought 4 ( still in cosmoline ) for $35. each.Three were sold over the years; but I kept one ( still full military ). What a great rifle. Now were they rebuilt or still original; I do not know, but the one I own is totally matched. The challenge was having the Kahles telescopic sight mounted without drilling. The mount is a bit heavy, and adds weight to an already heavy rifle; but I do sandbag - distance shooting anyway. On still days I often use sabot rounds. What an amazing round; but light, and prone to wander if the wind is up. Still, 4,000+ fps is something else. Some irony; the Kahles telescopic sight cost many times more than the rifle, & I bought it used. Kahles | Rifle Scopes | Scope Covers & Sunshades -MidwayUSA
    https://www.midwayusa.com/kahles/b?bid=1923
    I can remember when I was a kid back in the 70's and early 80's Woolworths had all kinds of surplus rifles for sale for way less than 100 bucks. Not as cheap as 35 bucks but definitely in the 59-79 dollar range. I recall seeing enfields, 03's, M1 carbines and a few others. If only I had a crystal ball back then I would have bought all of them. But being young and ignorant I thought they were just junk guns.
    Last edited by wellcraft; October 20th, 2018 at 08:00 PM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    I can remember when I was a kid back in the 70's and early 80's Woolworths had all kinds of surplus rifles for sale for way less than 100 bucks. Not as cheap as 35 bucks but definitely in the 59-79 dollar range. I recall seeing enfields, 03's, M1 carbines and a few others. If only I had a crystal ball back then I would have bought all of them. But being young and ignorant I thought they were just junk guns.
    I seen them too. Who would ever want one of those old greasy army rifles? I gotta go work on my time machine

(Chester County)

It is an illegal Mauser copy. I believe Springfield ended up paying Mauser royalties at one point. Still, a great rifle.

(Schuylkill County)

My father was with OSS 101 ( CBI ) during WW2. I asked him if the 03 was a good military rifle. His reply: well, it will kill a water buffalo; you do the math. I'm having trouble with my scanner; and wish to post a picture of my dad in full battle gear in the Burma jungle. No shirt, just shorts, boots, and a rag hat; and a Thompson slung over his shoulder. Full battle gear has definitely changed.