Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Anyone Own A Firestar .45

New member, so hello to all. I have carried my Firestar .45 for many years; never a single hiccup. Thing is, it is getting a bit heavy. Not to handle or shoot; but a bit heavy when carrying. Even with the padded shoulder holster, I begin to feel the weight. Surprisingly heavy for a small .45. I'm considering a CA Bulldog .44. I understand, only 20 ounces. Any input?

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Anyone Own A Firestar .45

I had one in 9mm and didn't carry it for just that reason. Consider a glock 30 or 36. As for the Bulldog I have always wanted one because I love the caliber.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I had one in 9mm and didn't carry it for just that reason. Consider a glock 30 or 36. As for the Bulldog I have always wanted one because I love the caliber.
    Bulldogs; they do hit like a freight train. I have a thing ( call it a quirk ) about always seeing a hammer. I had a custom shoulder holster made at Black Hills Leather. Wide top strap; and I still feel the weight of the Firestar. Another thing is, the Firestar grip is a bit short; so I have an extended magazine. Does the trick.

(Lycoming County)

I carry the 9mm Firestar pretty regularly in summer. I don't mind the weight with a good gun belt (I carry it @ 4 o'clock both iwb/own).

Charter seems ok, but 44 special is pretty obscure anymore and good SD rounds can be hard to come by. Why not just go 357. Plenty of power and lots of light weight options out there. I have an LCR and it's like you're not carrying anything.

(Allegheny County)

Used to own and carry a Star m40, until I traded it to help fund another purchase. Wish I still had it, as it was a decent shooter for a compact .40, since that all steel frame soaked up the recoil. Also made it a bear to carry at times.

Can't help you with the Bulldog, as I'm not much of a revolver guy.

(Bucks County)

Lots of lightweight semiauto pistols chambered in 45 available these days from several manufacturers. Springfield Armory, Kahr, SW to name a few all make slim, lightweight 45's and 9mm's. Do a little resesrch and check them all out at your local gunshop.

Oh and as someone else mentioned a good holster and belt can make all the difference in the world when carrying a firearm. I have a Desantis gun belt that looks good with a suit but also provides stability when I carry my HK USP 45C.
    Last edited by wellcraft; October 16th, 2018 at 05:33 PM.

(Bucks County)

An M43 was my first carry gun, I also have a M40. They both share a most parts besides the barrel and slide. The M45 is its own animal, although very similar in dimensions.

They are heavy but I like all steel guns, so I think it's worth it. As as was said, a good belt always helps with that.

My 9mm is crazy accurate, and it feels really nice in my hand with an extended mag.

The only downside is the capacity, being single stacks.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    An M43 was my first carry gun, I also have a M40. They both share a most parts besides the barrel and slide. The M45 is its own animal, although very similar in dimensions.

They are heavy but I like all steel guns, so I think it's worth it. As as was said, a good belt always helps with that.

My 9mm is crazy accurate, and it feels really nice in my hand with an extended mag.

The only downside is the capacity, being single stacks.
    If you can find one, the Firestar plus was a double stack version. Ups the capacity to 10 IIRC.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    If you can find one, the Firestar plus was a double stack version. Ups the capacity to 10 IIRC.
    The Firestar plus mags held 13 and had an alloy frame that didn't really match the starvel finish slides.

I've seen F+ .40 mags for sale but have never seen an actual .40 gun.

I I bought a bunch of factory mags from CDNN almost 20 years ago when they bought out Interarms' old stock.

The M&P Shield in .45 solves all your problems but doesn't offer much over the 9mm except less capacity. If you have to go wheel gun .357 craps on .44 special all day especially with self defense rounds and you get a ton more brand options then the hit or miss Charter Arms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast