Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Brace recommendations for 7" AR pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    As far as the specific ATF approval letter for each and every brace I'm not buying it. Tailhook has an adjustable as well as the new Shockwave 2.0.

If the ATF were going to kill this it would have already happened since they are pretty much everywhere now.
    You don't have to "buy" it, it's already there in plain English, at the end of each and every approval letter.

GHW has done their due diligence, and submitted and were approved for both Mod 1 and the adjustable Mod 2.

http://www.gearheadworks.com/tailhook_MOD1.pdf
    http://www.gearheadworks.com/tailhook_MOD2.pdf

You can opine all you want about what the ATF will and won't do, fact is, there are no ATF letters for the SBA3 yet. As you've likely seen before, there sometimes is no rhyme or reason for a specific ruling regarding NFA laws, so it's a bit reckless to be in direct contravention of the ruling as stated on the assumption that "well others similar to it have been approved in the past", even though it says SPECIFICALLY in each ruling from the FTB that the ruling applies only to that specific brace as presented. If you're insistent on running an SB Tactical brace, then you'd be better off running one that they did run by the ATF. Maybe they will get their letter at some point for the SBA3, but at this point in time, it does not exist.

I'm not here to give legal advice, but *if* you were to get in trouble with the law for whatever reason, I'd reason that your chances of being indicted for running afoul of NFA law is quite a bit higher without ATF validation. The extra $30 the Tailhook costs you will seem like peanuts to what your legal bill will amount to. The fact is, very few LEOs or DAs understand NFA law to the level that firearms enthusiasts do, and will throw the book at you because they think they can. If LE or the DA comes after you, and you can show paperwork from the get-go that the ATF has signed off on what you possess, it will likely save you a bunch of cash.

Innocent until proven guilty isn't a thing, they slap you with a weapons charge and YOU have to produce 10% of bail to a bondsman to keep yourself out of jail/protect your freedom/save your own job, even if you've done nothing wrong. What's bail on a standard weapons charge, $30k? Assuming you don't keep that cash around, that's $3k savings already, and that's not even the start of your legal bill.
    Last edited by rice rocket; October 14th, 2018 at 09:31 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the replies...I am kinda diggin' the Tailhook Mod 2! I might have to start looking for a good deal and test one out!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Lancaster County)

Late to the party, but check out thorsden custom http://www.thordsencustoms.com/caa-s...-saddle-black/ I have one of their stocksaddle stocks from a few years back (before the shockwave was invented...) and it works well as a cheek rest. something to think about.

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12