Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Westmoreland County)

Default Brace recommendations for 7" AR pistol

Looking for some recommendations for a new brace for my 7" AR15 pistol. I still like the Shockwave Blade that is currently on it but I am thinking about a PDW or Tailhook style to test out. Not looking to spend a fortune however!

So, what are you guys running on your AR pistols? Any deals out there? Anything for sale (PM ME)?? ...and no, I will not pay government extortion fees to turn it into an SBR! Only when the law is repealed!

If nothing else, lets see some photos...here is what I have currently:

Last edited by RocketFoot; October 13th, 2018 at 11:02 AM.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Brace recommendations for 7" AR pistol

I use the SB3A tactical and the the Tailhook braces, both work great. On average $129.00 to $149.00 plus shipping.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Montgomery County)

I have two 300 Blackout pistols, one running a SB PDW brace and the other has the SB3 brace. Love them both. PDW brace has a shorter overall length, and the SB3 is more “traditional” in terms of adjusting for length of pull. PDW brace is a bit more expensive, but you can’t go wrong with either option, I promise you!

SBA3 does not have an ATF approval letter, and SB Tactical has continually dodged the question when people have asked. Their response has been "see our other approval letters", when on the bottom of each approval letter, the ATF FTB says specifically that the opinion stated applies specifically only to that design. Not sure if they can't produce a letter because the design did not pass, or if they never submitted it for approval, but regardless, it's not approved.

This guy goes over it in this video:

...which is why, of all the current ones on the market, I'd be more inclined to go w/ the Tailhook Mod 2.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but the jailtime isn't worth it IMHO.
    Last edited by rice rocket; October 13th, 2018 at 08:08 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
    SB3 does not have an ATF approval letter, and SB Tactical has continually dodged the question when people have asked. Their response has been "see our other approval letters", when on the bottom of each approval letter, the ATF FTB says specifically that the opinion stated applies specifically only to that design.

...which is why, of all the current ones on the market, I'd be more inclined to go w/ the Tailhook Mod 2.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but the jailtime isn't worth it IMHO.
    Point made, but the SB3 brace is literally like the original SB brace with an adjustable length of pull. And given that it is perfectly legal to shoulder an arm brace, this should not be an issue. And, with all due respect, there isn’t an ATF officer at every range across this country inspecting arm braces and making individual determinations on them. So could there be a legal issue? Doubtful unless you go and do something criminal with said pistol. Besides, I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t be able to bring these to market without attracting the attention of the ATF in some grandiose fashion.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    I use the SB3A tactical and the the Tailhook braces, both work great. On average $129.00 to $149.00 plus shipping.

I have a folding Tailhook brace on my Scorpion Evo 3. It’s the closest thing you can get without the tax stamp. Plus it actually works very well as a real arm brace for one-handed shooting too. Another fine option!

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo85 View Post
    I have a folding Tailhook brace on my Scorpion Evo 3. It’s the closest thing you can get without the tax stamp. Plus it actually works very well as a real arm brace for one-handed shooting too. Another fine option!
    I second Mongo. I have the same exact thing on my Scorpion. I have one of the original SB braces on my 10.5" .300blk

If it weren't so costly I would replace the original SB brace with a tailhook, but the SB wasn't cheap and neither is the tailhook.

Also as mentioned by Mongo, the tailhook IS actually usable as an arm brace without going gangsta and having to shoot at some f'd up cant.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

I have the SB SOB on my EP9...no issues

I have a few of the SBA3 braces and they are excellent and are more comfortable to use then the other options. You can also find them for around $110.00 now or less on sale with a coupon code from optics planet. As far as the specific ATF approval letter for each and every brace I'm not buying it. Tailhook has an adjustable as well as the new Shockwave 2.0.

If the ATF were going to kill this it would have already happened since they are pretty much everywhere now. It appears "gun people" on YouTube need things to shit on and cause issues about even when none are present, well that's until they make one of it.

Here's a good comparison of what's on the market.

Last edited by Hodgie; October 13th, 2018 at 10:13 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

If I were going that short I’d want a pdw style.
    I’ve got an original tailhook on a pistol build. It’s a bit long as it just clips on the end of the bugger tube. Looks good though