Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: HB 2711 Prohibiting firearms at polling places

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Yes I have the title Constable (peace keeper) on election days and a daycare is attached and a sign on the entry door to the youth center states no guns allowed. I was told by the actual voted in Constable who hired me.
    What does the elected Constable say about carrying himself (or herself) in the same location?

If the prohibition is real (which I still doubt), I would guess it has more to do with your lack of training/certification because of your temporary status.

I do NOT believe that any policy instituted by a private property holder has any weight on ANYONE if they voluntarily allow their property and facilities to be used for elections. Election law applies, period. Property owners have the power to say "No blue shirts allowed here". If that were posted, would you, as a constable, enforce that policy during elections?

The opinion of the elected constable means little here too, IMO. No different than your average cop or gun shop employee: statistically likely to not just be wrong, but be VERY wrong.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Not only does this bill prohibit carrying inside the facility, it even restricts the parking lot, so you can't just disarm in the car to go vote. What a terrible bill... as usual.

(Beaver County)

My polling place is a VFD, I get to see the big red fire trucks.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    My polling place is a VFD, I get to see the big red fire trucks.
    Variable Frequency Drive?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

What better way to facilitate another crazy lib the opportunity to shoot up another gun free zone? It really is an untapped resource of helpless targets.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    What does the elected Constable say about carrying himself (or herself) in the same location?

If the prohibition is real (which I still doubt), I would guess it has more to do with your lack of training/certification because of your temporary status.

I do NOT believe that any policy instituted by a private property holder has any weight on ANYONE if they voluntarily allow their property and facilities to be used for elections. Election law applies, period. Property owners have the power to say "No blue shirts allowed here". If that were posted, would you, as a constable, enforce that policy during elections?

The opinion of the elected constable means little here too, IMO. No different than your average cop or gun shop employee: statistically likely to not just be wrong, but be VERY wrong.
    I would say its mainly due to my temporary status and not being a bonafide "Constable" but it is also a no gun building as stated on the entry door of this "Youth Foundation" building. Being a certified NRA instructor has no bearing on this situation.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post

She'd never get another appointment if she ignored the elected constable's wishes, getting into a pissing match with the judge of elections would be unpleasant, and she'd have more liability in a civil trial if something were to happen there.

As an elected, certified and insured constable, I'd tell a judge of elections or property owner to pound salt. Luckily, I'm in the borough building, and the judge of elections is a gun guy.

BTW, I can't find anything about election-day appointments in state law. Do you know of anything?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    She'd never get another appointment if she ignored the elected constable's wishes, getting into a pissing match with the judge of elections would be unpleasant, and she'd have more liability in a civil trial if something were to happen there.

As an elected, certified and insured constable, I'd tell a judge of elections or property owner to pound salt. Luckily, I'm in the borough building, and the judge of elections is a gun guy.
    That's fine. Any individual can do whatever they wish, but if they're going to say it's "not allowed" or "not legal" and expect others to accept and abide by the same prohibition, then I expect more than "John Doe said so".

Neither a youth center or a daycare are prohibited places by law. I can assure you that if that were my polling place, I would open carry just like I always do, and any Constable that tried to prevent my from casting my vote would be in for quite an adventure. I'm quite certain that disenfranchising a voter is a far bigger deal, both legally and from a PR perspective, than the private policies of a location that allows its facilities to be used as a polling place.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberifle View Post
    Not only does this bill prohibit carrying inside the facility, it even restricts the parking lot, so you can't just disarm in the car to go vote. What a terrible bill... as usual.
    great... so i can commit a crime just like when i have to disarm in the USPS parking lot to pick up an oversize package. Courtland st E. stroudsburg
    [either that or tresspass (only cvs customer parking) into the CVS lot to avoid carrying on "fed" property.]

i've currently got to use a mini USPS that is renting in a strip mall to be able to both not tresspass AND bring my firearm on to the parking lot to store as their property is just the cube they rent, not the parking lot. but they're only useful for money orders, they're not my delivery hub. Shawnee on Deleware.

my voting church is surrounded by woods, so guess i'd have to park on Rt209 to legally leave my firearm? what were the traffic laws surrounding parking on a shoulder?

i'm just rambling to highlight the intelligence of our elected elites.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    but yet no ID req...
    So if they confront you upon entering the polling location, just tell them 'No hablo ingles. No se.'

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Interesting proposed law. Many polling places are in school buildings. I figure it's closed (as a school) and I'm there for legal purpose.
    Are you implying that carrying on school grounds is legal when the school is 'closed', just because it's outside of normal school hours? Hopefully you'll have internet access during your experience so you can keep your legal thread updated here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast