Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Purchasing Guns At Odd Hours

Quote Originally Posted by mrat View Post
    I had one FFL tell me I could go home while having a 2 hr wait for PICS.(F.C.O. Didn't leave: too long of a drive). At another, he said technically I had to stay in his sight. Something about I cold leave and possibly commit a crime. I could've done that on the way in and it wouldn't be in the system. Maybe some FFLs here could clarify.
    Well you would have to be convicted for it to be in the system. That's silly to say you could leave and commit a crime.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
    Well you would have to be convicted for it to be in the system. That's silly to say you could leave and commit a crime.
    That's when you look the FFL straight in the eyes and say "Why the hell do you think I am in here buying that gun for" cough cough "protection and hunting"
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Monroe County)

8pm in my basement "shop" -not odd at all. You can have a cigar if PICS is taking a while.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Centre County)

From the Manual for Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) Paragraph 2.0 Verification of Information on Forms:

Forms required for firearm transactions, state, federal, or both must be completed and signed by the individual prior to the initiation of the background check telephone call. (PSP italics)

With the newer electronic form by computer, the same stipulation goes but since the buyer has to input the information in the computer it is sort of a moot point. That said, the FFL could get into trouble if they are inputting the information into the computer instead of the buyer.

As for the buyer needing to stay until the results come back, that is bunk. I do a lot of transfers for foreign nationals and it always takes a minimum of several hours and sometimes even days for the results to come back, just depends on INS/DHS and how quick they get back to the PSP. That is why a dealer is not supposed to have the buyer sign Section C of the SP4-113 (if required) until the approval number is issued. Also, if it takes so long that the actual transfer cannot happen on the same day the buyer fills out the 4473, the FFL is required to have the buyer sign Section C of the 4473, recertifying that everything in Section A is still valid.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    From the Manual for Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) Paragraph 2.0 Verification of Information on Forms:

Forms required for firearm transactions, state, federal, or both must be completed and signed by the individual prior to the initiation of the background check telephone call. (PSP italics)

With the newer electronic form by computer, the same stipulation goes but since the buyer has to input the information in the computer it is sort of a moot point. That said, the FFL could get into trouble if they are inputting the information into the computer instead of the buyer.

As for the buyer needing to stay until the results come back, that is bunk. I do a lot of transfers for foreign nationals and it always takes a minimum of several hours and sometimes even days for the results to come back, just depends on INS/DHS and how quick they get back to the PSP. That is why a dealer is not supposed to have the buyer sign Section C of the SP4-113 (if required) until the approval number is issued. Also, if it takes so long that the actual transfer cannot happen on the same day the buyer fills out the 4473, the FFL is required to have the buyer sign Section C of the 4473, recertifying that everything in Section A is still valid.
    Thank you, Ron.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

All that to little avail regarding crime:

(From this week's GunsAmerica) 2008 Pittsburgh stat-

Gun crime, gun owned by someone else: 79%

Owned by perp: 18%

Unknown: 3%

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Why didn’t you just ask that up front instead of your mysterious reason post? Just to create drama?
    Well yes there is the element of drama and suspense but mostly its because Cabela's has gotten a bad rap on this forum, at least in terms of buying guns, since Cabela's guns are overpriced which I do admit to. But Cabela's is excellent for shopping for other stuff not the least being ammo. You will find good ammo prices at Cabela's. And they've also got some good clothing, good camping, and good survival gear.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
    Well yes there is the element of drama and suspense but mostly its because Cabela's has gotten a bad rap on this forum, at least in terms of buying guns, since Cabela's guns are overpriced which I do admit to. But Cabela's is excellent for shopping for other stuff not the least being ammo. You will find good ammo prices at Cabela's. And they've also got some good clothing, good camping, and good survival gear.
    Please report back to us how things are since other forums no longer speak of this place in such high regard.. and I don't want to drive 3 hours to be disappointed .. Thanks
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Erie County)

I've never seen firearms marked down to any significant savings in a brick and mortar store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Why didn’t you just ask that up front instead of your mysterious reason post? Just to create drama?
    A real Drama Queen ...........................................

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast