Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: Interesting video on small caliber carry

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    The man is a mathematical moron. He said the frontal area of a .45 round is "22/100 of 1% bigger than 9mm". No, the cross-sectional area of a .45 is 1.6X that of a 9mm. That's 0.159 sq in vs 0.098 sq in.

I can easily pocket-carry a 9mm. In the rare occasions I want to deep carry, my Kahr CM-9 or Sig P365 melt away in a tuckable holster, or I'll carry my Kahr P380. There's no way I'd carry something smaller.
    He didn’t compare a 9 mm to a .45. He compared them as a percentage of the size the average male torso.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by boeing299 View Post
    He didn’t compare a 9 mm to a .45. He compared them as a percentage of the size the average male torso.
    That's just as ridiculous.

At the end of the day real world gun shot wound data statistically shows little difference between today’s common handgun service calibers.

(Lehigh County)

The man is a mathematical moron. He said the frontal area of a .45 round is "22/100 of 1% bigger than 9mm". No, the cross-sectional area of a .45 is 1.6X that of a 9mm. That's 0.159 sq in vs 0.098 sq in.

I can easily pocket-carry a 9mm. In the rare occasions I want to deep carry, my Kahr CM-9 or Sig P365 melt away in a tuckable holster, or I'll carry my Kahr P380. There's no way I'd carry something smaller.
    Totally agree here. I can carry my P365 appendix carry in basketball shorts and not have to even tie them, and you can't even tell it's in there.

(Cambria County)

I have come to the conclusion that carrying a knife for self-defense is better than carrying a NAA .22 Mag.

In general, without getting into outlier contingencies, the concepts of effective range, most likely threat encounters, ammo supply, escape as an option, and all kind of other things... Some weapons are better suited to self-defense than others given practical and plausible variables.

(Berks County)

You didn’t understand what he said. He was comparing the target diameter covered by each caliber to the entire target area. The little bit bigger 45 isn’t a huge amount of target area. It’s looking at things from a different perspective.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by boeing299 View Post
    That's just as ridiculous.

Why? It’s shot placement and depth of penetration right? We aren’t counting on nipping things with the edge are we?

Quote Originally Posted by sakustoms View Post
    Totally agree here. I can carry my P365 appendix carry in basketball shorts and not have to even tie them, and you can't even tell it's in there.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You didn’t understand what he said. He was comparing the target diameter covered by each caliber to the entire target area. The little bit bigger 45 isn’t a huge amount of target area. It’s looking at things from a different perspective.
    You're right, I misunderstood at first, but I still think his math is meaningless. You have the same chance of hitting a target no matter what the caliber. The question is what happens after you hit it. Look what happened to Reagan. He didn't even realize he was shot right away by a .22, but he nearly died later when they couldn't find the bullet and stop the bleeding. I don't want to poke little holes in someone and then ask them to please stand there for a while so they can bleed to death.

(Berks County)

You're right, I misunderstood at first, but I still think his math is meaningless. You have the same chance of hitting a target no matter what the caliber. The question is what happens after you hit it. Look what happened to Reagan. He didn't even realize he was shot right away by a .22, but he nearly died later when they couldn't find the bullet and stop the bleeding. I don't want to poke little holes in someone and then ask them to please stand there for a while so they can bleed to death.
    Today we have some 9mm loads that equal some 45 loads as far as penetration, wound channel and barrier deflection and penetration. Terminal ballistics being nearly identical, how much edge do you get with a little larger starting diameter? When everything was ball or hard cast, I pick the larger caliber but with modern ammo things are more equal between 9 and 45. Really I’m going by the video tests I’ve watch and read about. Cardboard, steel gongs and paper is all I personally shoot and I’m perfectly happy not to ever have to test out the capabilities of my defensive ammunition. I haven’t hunted in years and the squirrels and birds I did harvest went quickly to my 12ga.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast