Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Black Powder Revolver

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I didn't see a separate black powder thread.

I have a CVA .31 Cal revolver I inherited from my father, but never had the chance to shoot it with him before he passed. I want to learn, but not sure how much powder to use. I have seen a few You Tube videos and online guides which have covered many of the basics rather well, but nobody talks about the charge beyond selecting the appropriate cone for the powder flask. There are two different cones in the kit, one gives me a 10gr load, and the other gives me 18gr. The smaller cone was what my Dad left attached, so I assume that is the one to use, but it seems like such a small amount of powder, and the larger one would more visibly fill the cylinder.

If I take a liking to this, as I expect I will, I would like to expand my collection beyond just this one pistol. Is there a basic formula or ratio to guide me with various calibers and types? I had a friend tell me he thought there was a general rule of thumb, so many grains of powder for every .01 caliber or something of the sort?

Should also note, being a newb, that I think I have the correct type of powder. Pyrodex P, FFFG Equivalent.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Black Powder Revolver

(Monroe County)

(Monroe County)