Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Black Powder Revolver

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I didn't see a separate black powder thread.

I have a CVA .31 Cal revolver I inherited from my father, but never had the chance to shoot it with him before he passed. I want to learn, but not sure how much powder to use. I have seen a few You Tube videos and online guides which have covered many of the basics rather well, but nobody talks about the charge beyond selecting the appropriate cone for the powder flask. There are two different cones in the kit, one gives me a 10gr load, and the other gives me 18gr. The smaller cone was what my Dad left attached, so I assume that is the one to use, but it seems like such a small amount of powder, and the larger one would more visibly fill the cylinder.

If I take a liking to this, as I expect I will, I would like to expand my collection beyond just this one pistol. Is there a basic formula or ratio to guide me with various calibers and types? I had a friend tell me he thought there was a general rule of thumb, so many grains of powder for every .01 caliber or something of the sort?

Should also note, being a newb, that I think I have the correct type of powder. Pyrodex P, FFFG Equivalent.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Black Powder Revolver

(Lehigh County)

(Lehigh County)

(Montgomery County)

Thank you goyabean for those videos. I had already seen one or two of those, but always pick up something new the more I watch.

I am still trying to figure this out as I am apparently doing something wrong. I used the small cone on my flask, but the powder filled the cylinder right to the top. Like, seriously, it was flush...

So, this gets back to my original inquiry. Is there an appropriate amount of powder I need to limit myself to, or is ok it as long as there is room for the projectile? Can you dangerously overcharge black powder?

I have some pics on my phone that I'll have to figure out how to attach...

(Lehigh County)

Lightbulb Re: Black Powder Revolver

I get what you're saying maybe this one would be helpful

Lyman has a very comprehensive book for black powder revolvers. The spouts on flasks are usually cut to the proper length to give the right amount of powder.

Yes , Pyrodex P is correct. Powder charges are expressed in grains , but Pyrodex is used by volume equivalent. You'll need a graduated powder measure to get the right charge , then trim a spout to throw the same charge.

Haven't shot a .31cal in a long time , but 15grs does sound about right.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by marstev View Post
    Thank you goyabean for those videos. I had already seen one or two of those, but always pick up something new the more I watch.

I am still trying to figure this out as I am apparently doing something wrong. I used the small cone on my flask, but the powder filled the cylinder right to the top. Like, seriously, it was flush...

So, this gets back to my original inquiry. Is there an appropriate amount of powder I need to limit myself to, or is ok it as long as there is room for the projectile? Can you dangerously overcharge black powder?

I have some pics on my phone that I'll have to figure out how to attach...
    It's pretty tough to over pressure a bp revolver. Black powder doesn't create pressures like smokeless does. That said it can still be dangerous to drastically over charge one. 10 grains seems reasonable to me in that small of a gun. Pietta lists 12gr as max load on their.31 Cal variants.

I only own them in .44cal and I usually run @ 30gr ffg. That's not a Max load, but it fills the cylinder up to a visible level. With that much smaller pistol, I would guess 10 gr would also be visible and it's closer to max than what I use. If you're in doubt, you could always order a separate powder measure, mine only starts at 20gr, but I'm sure there's one out there that goes lower.

(Montgomery County)

Here is the owners manual from CVA.
    https://cva.com/wp-content/uploads/2...erWarrBook.pdf
    It says 7 grains to start

Ridgelines of VA Roanoke valley, Virginia

I use 25 gr. for my .44 caliber.
    I use 50-70 gr. in my .50 cal pistol.
    I shoot only single shots. Revolvers would be loaded to their own tolerances.
    Think twice, shoot once.