Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Winchester/Miroku Model 1892

Appearance is very nice fit and finish very workman like with no obvious flaws. The action feels OK with no grinding, probably a period of use will break it in fine.

Shooting today for initial evaluation was limited to Chrono work due to limited amount of .357 ammo on hand. My Chrono results were a bit surprising especially for the Remington stuff!

The .357 Mag. Cartridges all fed well without a stoppage. .38 Spec. needs a little care because of cartridge length. Lever operation must be just slightly slower and more deliberate. If milder loads than .357 are desired perhaps loading .38 Spec. charges in .357 cases is the way to go. Maybe with an over-powder wad or dacron/kapok filler. If my handloads reach the same velocities as the factory stuff, loads for this rifle are going to be relegated to jacketed bullets. Berry’s plated sets a maximum velocity of 1250 fps. I only fired 3 shots to see if I could get on paper at 50 yards, 2 were very close to point of aim in a standard NRA 25 yd. bullseye target one high and right but it appears the sights are regulated for 158 grainers at 50 yds. This carbine might even make a neat little deer rifle given the runts and short ranges around here.

Bottom line, anyone searching for a carbine or rifle of this type can feel fine buying a Winchester, unless they’re a real stickler for US made.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Brick; October 8th, 2018 at 07:41 PM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Chester County)

Default Re: Winchester/Miroku Model 1892

Thanks for sharing the research.

The missus has a Miroku in .44 Rem Mag and it's the finest crafted .44 she owns.
    - bamboomaster

(Bucks County)

Miroku makes fine long guns. About the only complaint I have, is most of the wood is too glossy. That's just a personal preference.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for putting that information up. I have a Marlin 1894 .357 and I've been working up some heavy .357 loads to possibly use on deer.
    The bullet I have been casting is the Lee 158 grain SWC TL. I've been powder coating it with Harbor Freight red. Supposedly, powder coating allows for higher velocities. I've considered getting a slightly heavier flat nose with a gas check. I've been loading with 296.
    I now have a chronograph and will have to start seeing what I can get.

I looked up some pictures of the rifle on gunbroker. Beautiful!

(Chester County)

No pictures?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    No pictures?
    No I don't have a pretty enough background to do the rifle justice!

Something like a Sofia Vergara would be about right!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    Thanks for putting that information up. I have a Marlin 1894 .357 and I've been working up some heavy .357 loads to possibly use on deer.
    The bullet I have been casting is the Lee 158 grain SWC TL. I've been powder coating it with Harbor Freight red. Supposedly, powder coating allows for higher velocities. I've considered getting a slightly heavier flat nose with a gas check. I've been loading with 296.
    I now have a chronograph and will have to start seeing what I can get.

small snip
    I had a Marlin 1894C in .45 Colt that I traded off a number of years ago. The rifle was good and i liked being able to remove lever and bolt for cleaning. I didn't care much for the caliber. I'm pretty sure you're going to need at least gas checked bullets for your loads. I'm also pretty sure at the velocities I report in the attachment jacketed bullets. Too bad it looks like the older style half-jacketed bullets are no longer available.