Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default U-Pen visit tomorrow in Philly

I have to travel into Philly tomorrow to see a U-Pen Dr for the 1st time. I haven't been to Philly in about 19 years and the last time I did I lived in NJ and probably didn't drive. My appointment is at 3pm and Google Maps shows it as an Hour and 45 minutes from my fort so to be on the very safe side and keep my wife happy we are going to leave around 12pm.

The appointment is at 3737 Market street and I have a few questions.

1. Does this medical building have parking?
    2. If not is there a decent amount of available parking in this area at this time of day?
    3. If anyone has been to this exact location can you carry in it or do they have security searches and or metal detectors?
    4. Would it be wise to drive the compact car in vs the SUV?

My appointments an hour long so getting out at 4pm should put me in a crap ton of traffic so we were thinking about getting some of Philly's finest cheesesteaks to blow a few hours is there anywhere in this area or on the way out that would be good to stop at?

I pretty much never stress over this kind of crap but in this case I am pretty sick, I do not know Philly at all or this particular area and it's safety and my wife does not enjoy driving especially in the city or it's traffic.

Thanks in advance.

(Chester County)

Default Re: U-Pen visit tomorrow in Philly

Done this drive a lot lately since I had sinus surgery at Penn earlier this year. (A few blocks away in a different building). But the building you are going to has parking next door, link to penns site below

https://www.pennmedicine.org/for-pat...ns-and-parking

The building I always go to does not have metal detectors, but cannot say for sure about 3737.

Parking in the garages is usually a pain, may be easier in the small car, and less risk of someone door dinging the SUV if you cant find a nice big spot.

Traffic blows around there trying to get out of the city. Not sure where "on top of a hill" is, but I am west of the city and usually skip 76. Always like to keep my options open and I am fine coasting through stop signs and lights in west philly if it means skipping getting stuck on 76. The area is U Penn, so a lot of the resturants are oriented to younger students. There are a few classics, like White Dog, that have been around for ever and serve up good food. But another idea, you can sneak out 33rd st to 34th street which goes right to the Philly zoo, maybe wait out traffic having a beer or food there?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I have to travel into Philly tomorrow to see a U-Pen Dr for the 1st time. I haven't been to Philly in about 19 years and the last time I did I lived in NJ and probably didn't drive. My appointment is at 3pm and Google Maps shows it as an Hour and 45 minutes from my fort so to be on the very safe side and keep my wife happy we are going to leave around 12pm.

The appointment is at 3737 Market street and I have a few questions.

1. Does this medical building have parking?
    2. If not is there a decent amount of available parking in this area at this time of day?
    3. If anyone has been to this exact location can you carry in it or do they have security searches and or metal detectors?
    4. Would it be wise to drive the compact car in vs the SUV?

My appointments an hour long so getting out at 4pm should put me in a crap ton of traffic so we were thinking about getting some of Philly's finest cheesesteaks to blow a few hours is there anywhere in this area or on the way out that would be good to stop at?

I pretty much never stress over this kind of crap but in this case I am pretty sick, I do not know Philly at all or this particular area and it's safety and my wife does not enjoy driving especially in the city or it's traffic.

Thanks in advance.
    I've been there.
    There is parking in the building itself.

If driving westbound on Market St (up the hill) 3737 Market is a tall modern building on your right.
    Pass the building and immediately turn right at the corner on 38th St.
    It's a small street and there is construction nearby.
    You go down the hill on 38th St with 3737 Market on your right, and you will see a parking garage entrance on your right side.
    Once in there and parked you will see the elevators to enter 3737 Market.
    Don't forget to validate your parking ticket on the way out of the office.

If for some reason the construction has the street blocked then you can also park in the exterior parking garage at the Penn Presbyterian Medical Center across the street.

Just about all University of Penn medical buildings have no guns signs posted.
    There are no metal detectors or searches.
    Expect everyone you encounter to be rabidly anti gun.
    A bag or purse can be useful for off body carry.

Take the SUV instead of the compact car, better security for the city.
    It may be a bit tight in the garage, but it doesn't stop the other hundreds of people from parking the SUV's that I see there.

A departure time of 12pm is reasonable in case of unexpected traffic problems.
    GPS that can redirect you around accidents and other problems is always a good idea when headed into Philly.
    When going home between 4pm-6pm you will encounter heavier traffic.
    Again GPS is very advisable for redirecting around traffic problems.

If you want to stay and eat there are lots of places to go.
    Your doctor and his staff may be able to suggest a favorite establishment nearby.
    If you don't know the city then don't wander away from the university area which has a higher police presence and a lot of college people on the streets.
    No place in the city is 100% safe, so best to stop in the restroom and holster your carry before leaving the building.

Feel free to PM me if other info is needed.
    Bern-
    Last edited by Berncly; October 8th, 2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typos and added: validate parking on the way out of the office
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: U-Pen visit tomorrow in Philly

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post

Thanks in advance.
    When I was a denizen of West Philly I loved Koch's Delicatessen. http://kochsdeli.com/ Unfortunately it is not a place you can eat in as it is a small place, but it is a true Philly experience and damn good food. Not far from the Medical Center at 43rd & Locust.

My old favorite was a hot pastrami with muenster on rye with Russian dressing!
    Last edited by gghbi; October 8th, 2018 at 05:39 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

They you both very much this should help me sleep better tonight knowing what to look for and where. I am up in the NE just below the Camelback area in Monroe county so I am going to have to take 476 towards Philly then what ever the GPS tells me from there.

As far as the firearm my wife will be carrying them both in her hand bag until we leave.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    When I was a denizen of West Philly I loved Koch's Delicatessen. http://kochsdeli.com/ Unfortunately it is not a place you can eat in as it is a small place, but it is a true Philly experience and damn good food. Not far from the Medical Center at 43rd & Locust.

My old favorite was a hot pastrami with muenster on rye with Russian dressing!
    I am a little late to this, but the Koch’s Deli brought back memories when I worked out that way. I was lucky to be served by the late Bob and Lou. Just standing in line you received enough samples to make a sandwich if you had a some bread.

So Hodgie, how did you make out?