Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: CMP 1911’s

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: CMP 1911’s

Somebody received a JSB-inspected Colt frame. It's something like the 15th JSB Colt know n to exist. With CMP provenance and even refinished and ANAD-marked, he just made a 10X return on his investment. Stunned that whoever is inspecting for CMP doesn't have even that basic level of knowledge to pull it and send it to auction.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Somebody received a JSB-inspected Colt frame. It's something like the 15th JSB Colt know n to exist. With CMP provenance and even refinished and ANAD-marked, he just made a 10X return on his investment. Stunned that whoever is inspecting for CMP doesn't have even that basic level of knowledge to pull it and send it to auction.
    Lucky SOB!

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    An example was just posted on the CMP forum that's a mid-WWII Colt slide on a late WWII RR frame, rebuilt at Benicia and then again by the Marines, with markings to prove both. To the folks who think that's equivalent to a new production Rock Island, I can't help them. But to those who understand and value the history, condition and mechanical function are simply bonuses.
    If one guy has a Colt frame and RR slide, and another has a RR frame and a colt slide, would they benefit from trading?

I ask because I have a US&S frame and a Remington rand slide. From what I understand these were built this way to speed up production. The military needed the pistols. US&S and RR were both setting up equipment and started production. Since US&S had frames and RR had slides, they were mated and issued. Mine has US goverment markings, 1943 production.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    If one guy has a Colt frame and RR slide, and another has a RR frame and a colt slide, would they benefit from trading?

I ask because I have a US&S frame and a Remington rand slide. From what I understand these were built this way to speed up production. The military needed the pistols. US&S and RR were both setting up equipment and started production. Since US&S had frames and RR had slides, they were mated and issued. Mine has US goverment markings, 1943 production.
    It's hard to convey thoughts on a forum so please know I'm not trying to be rude, but manufacturers never shipped in the way you describe (RR slide on a USS frame for example). Some parts were shared so Colt sent hammers and slide stops to RR for example and even some leftover WWI Colt frames were given to Ithaca, but final finishing and marking was done by that receiving company. Guns were sometimes shipped to other companies for interchangeablility tests but were not issued that way. A RR would have been shipped all RR.

That said, I don't personally see the value in correcting a mix master. It is the way it left the overhauling arsenal and will never be original again. Besides, finishes probably won't match. I wouldn't do it since it's current condition is part of its history but at the end of the day, whatever makes the owner happy. It just won't be more valuable if corrected.

Got my number a few weeks ago. 16xxx range. Maybe I'll get one in a year or two. The CMP recently posted that anyone "caught" attempting to profit through immediate resale will be banned from future purchase. Not sure how they would enforce this, but a nice gesture. What concerns me is that the politicians will see those re-sales as a reason to discontinue all sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    Got my number a few weeks ago. 16xxx range. Maybe I'll get one in a year or two. The CMP recently posted that anyone "caught" attempting to profit through immediate resale will be banned from future purchase. Not sure how they would enforce this, but a nice gesture. What concerns me is that the politicians will see those re-sales as a reason to discontinue all sales.
    Or worse that they prosecute under the "actual buyer" question.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    I'd say if someone sold it within 6mos of buying it , they bought it to flip it!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Elk County)

From what I've read here and elsewhere it appears that the CMP is selling by lottery 1911/1911A1 pistols that never came across my bench while a Marine armorer. For collectors, that's a good thing, and I'm sincerely very happy for them.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Warren County)

1911s are great for me, once they get a beavertail to correct The Bite, and an extended slide release to allow me to keep my grip the same.

I've got an old dorked up mixmaster that I made those mods to, and It's a nice shooter. It's a bit rattly, but I count that as part of the charm.
    I also have RIA that got the same bits described above and it is ACCURATE.
    I also have a kimber that came with the beavertail, so all i had to add was the slide release. That one's my BBQ gun.

I just can't invest any more of my after-tax income into another that I will have to modify, so No bids from me.

Yinz is welcome.

Oh, all those were lost in the tragic boat fire.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

PANRA Guest

Got a phone call Wednesday that my number came up (1213X). Today I picked up my beautiful Service Grade Remington Rand (both slide & frame) 1911 A1 manufactured in 1945 going by the serial number. Arsenal rebuilt at the Springfield Armory. Looks like a new pistol.

The nice woman I spoke with at CMP said they had all grades to choose from. The CMP website says they have not received any additional 1911’s since the first release. I suspect they have gotten more in although I have heard they are keeping that information top secret given current political climate on gun control.
    Last edited by PANRA; February 14th, 2020 at 08:41 PM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast