Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

Okay, thank you so much, I will get those programmed in correctly!!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Wyoming County)

Holy shit is this stuff confusing.

I figured I'd start at the bottom and see how far I got based on my desire/capability to learn. Well I'm about maxed out, and I'm still stuck on the FRS/GMRS system.

Regarding licensing - Seems not only do you have to know what frequencies you are on but also your wattage capability of the radio? and wtf is with that $90 fee for GMRS? I know its for 10 years but damn, does anybody actually pay it?

So here is where I am at (and I can't tell you how many videos and FCC regs I read/watched).

Channels 1-7 are FRS/GMRS depending on your radio's wattage?
    Channels 8-14 are FRS only?
    Channels 15-22 are GMRS only?

I've tried following the thread but the HAM stuff is cooking my noodle. Damn PL codes, simplex vs. duplex, repeaters
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post

I figured I'd start at the bottom and see how far I got based on my desire/capability to learn. Well I'm about maxed out, and I'm still stuck on the FRS/GMRS system.

Regarding licensing - Seems not only do you have to know what frequencies you are on but also your wattage capability of the radio? and wtf is with that $90 fee for GMRS? I know its for 10 years but damn, does anybody actually pay it?

So here is where I am at (and I can't tell you how many videos and FCC regs I read/watched).

I've tried following the thread but the HAM stuff is cooking my noodle. Damn PL codes, simplex vs. duplex, repeaters
    I don't know what your problem is, the regulations are simple enough that any 5yr old that happens to have both law and electromagnetic theory degrees could understand. Are you saying you're more stupid than a 5yr old?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lebanon County)

Confusing is an understatement.

k, what you explained is how it USED to be. About a month or little more ago, the FRS/ GMRS rules changed. All radios previously sold as FRS & GMRS are reclassified as FRS, all 22 channels are now FRS. GMRS now has new frequencies (forgive me, I don't have them memorized, nor remember where I filed the memo at the moment), and is able to use GMRS repeaters. It is on the NEW GMRS system you'll need licenses since few if any got the old ones. Yes, still power and radio limited, and no "encryption".

For the most part the frequencies and band plan, I do NOT memorize (except when I tested), I printed out the Band Plan, and keep a copy in my handy Radio Notebook.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I don't know what your problem is, the regulations are simple enough that any 5yr old that happens to have both law and electromagnetic theory degrees could understand. Are you saying you're more stupid than a 5yr old?
    YES!

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Confusing is an understatement.

k, what you explained is how it USED to be. About a month or little more ago, the FRS/ GMRS rules changed. All radios previously sold as FRS & GMRS are reclassified as FRS, all 22 channels are now FRS. GMRS now has new frequencies (forgive me, I don't have them memorized, nor remember where I filed the memo at the moment), and is able to use GMRS repeaters. It is on the NEW GMRS system you'll need licenses since few if any got the old ones. Yes, still power and radio limited, and no "encryption".

For the most part the frequencies and band plan, I do NOT memorize (except when I tested), I printed out the Band Plan, and keep a copy in my handy Radio Notebook.
    Thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do recall reading that the laws/regs changed (recently) but I thought that with the rule change the radios also had to come into compliance?

My double set of Uniden handheld FRS/GMRS that I've had for 6+ years were made under the old rules & I assumed I would have to obey the channel rules in effect at the time? Being the good law abiding citizen that I am I always stayed on channels 7-14. *ETA: I can't find anywhere in the owners manual how much wattage they rate at. I assume that is set by channel selection?

If the dumb ass FCC would make a yearly licensing cost of $10 people might be more inclined to pay that, but I sure as hell ain't paying ~90 even if it is for 10 years. The reality is that I haven't used the radios but maybe a handful of times. It's why I don't join anything as a life member.

The frequencies complicate things so I just used the channel numbers as set forth in the owners manual.

(Lebanon County)

Thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do recall reading that the laws/regs changed (recently) but I thought that with the rule change the radios also had to come into compliance?

My double set of Uniden handheld FRS/GMRS that I've had for 6+ years were made under the old rules & I assumed I would have to obey the channel rules in effect at the time? Being the good law abiding citizen that I am I always stayed on channels 7-14. *ETA: I can't find anywhere in the owners manual how much wattage they rate at. I assume that is set by channel selection?

If the dumb ass FCC would make a yearly licensing cost of $10 people might be more inclined to pay that, but I sure as hell ain't paying ~90 even if it is for 10 years. The reality is that I haven't used the radios but maybe a handful of times. It's why I don't join anything as a life member.

The frequencies complicate things so I just used the channel numbers as set forth in the owners manual.
    99% of the "Bubble pack" radios sold at the Big Box stores and online are 100% complaint with both power and "Type Class". A few if the Higher end radios, Garmen Rhino 120 /130 have encryption capability, and are not compliant. Now if you do have those non-compliant radios Like the older Rhinos and Baoefengs, no one will come to your home to take them, the FCC doesn't have enough people, and there are so many of them, the cannot nor will not make a list to send to local authorities. My suggestion, just don't use them.

Just a point of clarification, FRS were on the lower "channels" while GMRS were on the upper.

(Lancaster County)

Jadis on TWD is using a Baofeng. Looks like a UV-5R, which wasn't made when the apocalypse started.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Jadis on TWD is using a Baofeng. Looks like a UV-5R, which wasn't made when the apocalypse started.
    The one I like is most often of Fear TWD, where they pick up the Motorola Radios and they are all the same....... For those not aware, The Motorola 1000, and 750/1250 series radios all look alike, but have four different configurations each of the four covers a separate frequency spread (none of them the CB Bands otherwise known as 11M). Motorola is very tight on the software to program those radios, it's hard even for a certified public service agency to get that software, and some of it requires old DOS computers to program. So when they were going around "If you need help, turn to channel 3", I was just sitting shaking my head. I know many of us get on programs for poor display and understanding of Firearms, but his is one of those times when the same goes true of radios.

(Berks County)

I can't hardly cipher a thing you guys are saying here but...how does this affect my Garmin Rhino's?They are two way FRS/GMRS radios/GPS units.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast