Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 87
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South East of disorder
    Posts
    2,452
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

    A while back I tested my radio with a friend. Using the long antennas on both radios we were 1.76 miles apart. Right around that distance they became unreadable. Not bad for a $25 radio.
    “Proclaim Liberty throughout all the Land unto all the Inhabitants thereof.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    3,887
    Rep Power
    15013496

    Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

    For a second radio, I see one on flea Bay that’s like 3899 and is the 8 W model. Seems legit to me anyone with experience? And who amongst the brave is good with the software and programming? Are there good videos that can teach one from you tube?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Montco, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    3,990
    Rep Power
    21368009

    Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    For a second radio, I see one on flea Bay that’s like 3899 and is the 8 W model. Seems legit to me anyone with experience? And who amongst the brave is good with the software and programming? Are there good videos that can teach one from you tube?
    The software (CHIRP) is very easy and there are many good videos online.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    3,887
    Rep Power
    15013496

    Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

    This one looks legit for the new https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baofeng-BF-...MAAOSwEehbMQ0Q

    What is the real cable? And specific video recommended?
    Last edited by Gunowner99; October 9th, 2018 at 08:48 AM.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Montco, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    247
    Rep Power
    7719021

    Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

    The same guy that did the OP video (Hoshnasi, Josh Nass, KI6NAZ) also has a vid on programming baofengs manually. Just FYI.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    (Lebanon County)
    Posts
    1,524
    Rep Power
    5674125

    Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

    As an Amateur radio Club president, and EMCOMM operator, I've been following this closely. From our FCC observer,

    "From: RILEY HOLLINGSWORTH
    To:
    Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 10:10 PM
    Subject: Re: no thursday sked--have to go to airport....
    Don't worry about the new regulation press release. It was an error and was not run by the enforcement bureau person--Laura Smith. IF the radios are only used on amateur frequencies, they are fine. It should be corrected soon.
    The problem would be if an amateur took one of the units, say, a Baofeng from China, or an old military unit,and used it on a business, public safety or other non amateur frequency. They aren't certified for that. But no certification is required for anything operated on amateur frequencies--by a licensed amateur."

    There was the US Baofeng Importer who was ordered to suspend operations for advertising them for us on Non-HAM frequencies, with an explicit import ban pasted against that model and company. I missed the user who posted, but yes there are several in the ranks who love going after rogue transmitters, but they are on the HAM bands, not FRS or GMRS, which the rules are changing on too. All the current bubble packs currently on sale will be designated FRS, and GMRS will be new designated frequencies, plus that license will be "reworked". It's been dang near a full time job to keep up with the changes going around.

    BTW, for those interested in obtaining a HAM license (and learning how to communicate in grid down/ emergency) I know of multiple "Ham Boot Camps" between now and the end of the year. Most courses are free, with just a $14 FCC licensing fee. We just set one up with LANCO Tactical for this next weekend (13 and 14 Oct) and they are charging a small fee for use of their facilities. If interested let me know, Classes in Cumberland, Dauphin, York, Lebanon, and Lancaster so far. Our VE Team is very busy

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    3,887
    Rep Power
    15013496

    Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

    Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    The same guy that did the OP video (Hoshnasi, Josh Nass, KI6NAZ) also has a vid on programming baofengs manually. Just FYI.
    I see that now, over 1 hour but I assume quite thorough! I will have a look!! Thanks so much!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    (Lebanon County)
    Posts
    1,524
    Rep Power
    5674125

    Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

    Best site to address this question http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php has full F.A.Q. and how to fix the problem with counterfeit cables.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    127.0.0.1, Pennsylvania
    (Lancaster County)
    Posts
    16,698
    Rep Power
    21474865

    Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    As an Amateur radio Club president, and EMCOMM operator, I've been following this closely. From our FCC observer,

    "From: RILEY HOLLINGSWORTH
    To:
    Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 10:10 PM
    Subject: Re: no thursday sked--have to go to airport....
    Don't worry about the new regulation press release. It was an error and was not run by the enforcement bureau person--Laura Smith. IF the radios are only used on amateur frequencies, they are fine. It should be corrected soon.
    The problem would be if an amateur took one of the units, say, a Baofeng from China, or an old military unit,and used it on a business, public safety or other non amateur frequency. They aren't certified for that. But no certification is required for anything operated on amateur frequencies--by a licensed amateur."

    There was the US Baofeng Importer who was ordered to suspend operations for advertising them for us on Non-HAM frequencies, with an explicit import ban pasted against that model and company. I missed the user who posted, but yes there are several in the ranks who love going after rogue transmitters, but they are on the HAM bands, not FRS or GMRS, which the rules are changing on too. All the current bubble packs currently on sale will be designated FRS, and GMRS will be new designated frequencies, plus that license will be "reworked". It's been dang near a full time job to keep up with the changes going around.

    BTW, for those interested in obtaining a HAM license (and learning how to communicate in grid down/ emergency) I know of multiple "Ham Boot Camps" between now and the end of the year. Most courses are free, with just a $14 FCC licensing fee. We just set one up with LANCO Tactical for this next weekend (13 and 14 Oct) and they are charging a small fee for use of their facilities. If interested let me know, Classes in Cumberland, Dauphin, York, Lebanon, and Lancaster so far. Our VE Team is very busy
    Just remember, those in the government, tasked with making and enforcing the laws and regulations can't keep track of them all and explain them clearly, but you as a citizen, by god, you had better know every single intricacy of the laws and regulations else face fines and jail.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,455
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Just remember, those in the government, tasked with making and enforcing the laws and regulations can't keep track of them all and explain them clearly, but you as a citizen, by god, you had better know every single intricacy of the laws and regulations else face fines and jail.
    Sounds familiar...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops