Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is the sig 365 safe to buy yet?

I remember a video by the owner of Harry's Holsters who I assume is named Harry showing his two examples which if I remember correctly were purchased a month or so apart both suffered from the broken striker trouble. I have a friend who did the Brownells back order and received his pistol about 2 or 3 months after the initial issues and it was great up until 1500 rounds or so when he pulled the trigger and nothing happened due to the broken striker.

Late note: While I do not own one I have shot a few one being another members pistol at this summers group shoot. I had two fail to fires (light primer strikes) a failure to eject and one failure to lock back on an empty mag but that one could have been me. Troubles happened with two different brands of quality ammunition. One brand the owner provided and one brand I provided which was Fiochhi.
    Last edited by Hodgie; October 8th, 2018 at 10:24 PM.

(Allegheny County)

June build date. 700 rounds without issue.

This video review just came out today, it also explains all the changes that were made to the internals of this firearm which was quite extensive including heat treating and the geometry on several key components. This tell's me that nothing about the failures of this pistol were blown out of proportion and it was not just a simple fix of springs on Sig's end.

On this example with 1100 rounds check out the amount of wear on the locking lugs on the barrel and keep an eye on yours. I am still interested in this pistol but I can easily wait another year or two until it's proven but it's a hard sell for me to switch from my 43 or my Shield.

$50.00 12 round mag's don't exactly help sell it to me either.

Last edited by Hodgie; October 13th, 2018 at 02:39 PM.

(Washington County)

Rightly or wrongly, the damage is done, and in my mind, at least, this thing is a lemon. I could never buy one. I wish you guys good luck, but I'm sticking with Glocks.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

There's enough good with this gun that I decided it was worth some time and effort to sort it out after I bought it, and that's exactly what happened. The bad:

• A 2-week return for not always going into battery.
    • $39 for the updated striker
    • $50 for a 12-round mag

Vs. the good (compared to my main carry guns):

• Night sights
    • Much shorter trigger pull than CM-9
    • Much better trigger reset than the M&P9c
    • Better ergonometrics than either
    • Excellent grip texture
    • Pocket carry - 4 more rounds than CM-9.
    • OWB with extended mag - same capacity as M&P9c but much smaller & lighter.

I think that's a win, replacing two carry guns with something better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    This video review just came out today, it also explains all the changes that were made to the internals of this firearm which was quite extensive including heat treating and the geometry on several key components. This tell's me that nothing about the failures of this pistol were blown out of proportion and it was not just a simple fix of springs on Sig's end.

On this example with 1100 rounds check out the amount of wear on the locking lugs on the barrel and keep an eye on yours. I am still interested in this pistol but I can easily wait another year or two until it's proven but it's a hard sell for me to switch from my 43 or my Shield.
    It blows my mind that the issues are such simple yet fundamental things that have been overlooked. Springs aren't long enough? Forgot to heat treat? You'd expect these from a brand new manufacturer, but from Sig? Shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    There's enough good with this gun that I decided it was worth some time and effort to sort it out after I bought it, and that's exactly what happened. The bad:
    I'd keep an eye out on the rolling (and future) updates, and insist that Sig replace the items that were redesigned (starts around 10:45 in the video above). It's not like the engineers made those changes for their own health.
    Last edited by rice rocket; October 14th, 2018 at 09:14 AM.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
    It blows my mind that the issues are such simple yet fundamental things that have been overlooked. Springs aren't long enough? Forgot to heat treat? You'd expect these from a brand new manufacturer, but from Sig? Shameful.

I'd keep an eye out on the rolling (and future) updates, and insist that Sig replace the items that were redesigned (starts around 10:45 in the video above). It's not like the engineers made those changes for their own health.
    My pistol has the updates that he mentioned. It was made in June, just like his was. BTW, he was wrong about his gun being built in May. That's just the day that the frame was molded. Date codes are routinely molded into plastic parts; that has nothing to do with the assembly date.

Here's the thing: nobody knows for sure what's going on. Sig has a better idea than we do about defect rates. They know exactly how many they've sold, how many defects have been reported, and when those defective guns were produced. We don't. Are the defect rates out of the ordinary? Is Sig lying, are the Interwebs hyperventilating over nothing, or is it somewhere in between? I don't know.

I'm an engineer. I've seen an effect where a product seems to be fine, someone finds a problem, people swoop in with microscopes, and all of a sudden everybody thinks that the product turned to shit. Shut the line down, put the parts on hold, inspect a boatload of parts, bitch about the horrible quality, call the supplier in a panic.... The product didn't change, but the additional scrutiny and herd mentality took a problem that actually existed but wasn't serious enough to be noticed and magnified it way out of proportion. Anybody who works in manufacturing has probably seen this happen.

I like the gun enough that I bought it knowing that it might cost some time, effort, and money to sort it out. It did. But I'm past that now, and I trust the gun. Years ago, I also bought the Kahr, knowing that Kahrs don't work well until they're broken in. I totally understand that some people won't mess with a gun that's not 100% reliable right out of the box, and that's OK. But they're limiting their choices.

(Lancaster County)

https://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-p365-p...ion-365-a.html

Maybe this will help with a chronology of reported issues and serial numbers and build dates. Of course this is not every possible gun with an issue, just what this OP was able to track, I assume through postings on forums. I really do not know for sure. If you follow the serial numbers to the bottom, it appears that they have over 200,000 units in the field now.

(York County)

Nobody wants to buys a gun and hope a problem doesn't surface. SIG should do with the P-365 what GLOCK did with the G-42. Let owners of early models send them back for "upgrades". It will cost them more money in the short term bu they will make more money in the long term.

I have both of these models. I am much more confident with the GLOCK but prefer the capacity and firepower of the SIG.

It is called "peace of mind". Anyone who gives it to me is worthy of my business.

Mine is a second wave gun, after the first hold. Hoping it doesn't fail, but also devising a way to send it back and make them "fix" everything to be safe.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast