Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Coyote questions

A great FUDD comment. I personally am an adult and if I want to hunt predators or big game, that is my right. If you don't like to hunt X critter that is your right, just don't lecture anyone else, when we want to hunt. We don't need a reason or validation as to why we hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    I can understand hunting for food. But killing for the sake of killing is some twisted shit.
    Whoever asked if you can hunt with NV..not in PA as PA has some old laws that need to be changed.

OP, I doubt you are getting over 3300 FPS with a 223...unless you are loading some very light bullets. The 204 Ruger, 22-250, 243, can be loaded to some really fast speeds.

I'd be game for going predator hunting as I'm looking to meet some folks. I live in Montgomery County and would be willing to travel some. I have a farm in Dauphin county that we could hunt at, so PM me if anyone is interested.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    So, I'm no expert, but the Digest says the following...

During Any Big Game Season
    Coyotes may be taken while lawfully hunting big game
    (big-game orange requirements must be followed) or with
    a furtaker license.

My interpretation of that is that you have to have a legal weapon for that big game and wear the appropriate amount of orange.
    So, do you think that Sundays are outside of the big game season?

(Lancaster County)

I've got some 62gr Varmageddon loads worked up for my AR that I've been itching to put to use. Insanely accurate bullet and designed for predator and varmint hunting, should be awesome for coyotes and chucks.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    So, do you think that Sundays are outside of the big game season?
    I found confirmation here on the PGC website.

Coyote Hunting
    When can I hunt coyotes?
    During most of the year coyotes may be hunted with only a general license, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. However, during any open big game season, you will need to be lawful to hunt the appropriate big game or have a furtaker’s license.

How can I hunt coyotes during big game seasons with my general license?
    If you do not have a furtaker license, during big game season you may only hunt coyotes if you are lawful to hunt the big game that is season. That includes but is not limited to:
    wearing the appropriate fluorescent orange for the big game season
    using the appropriate arms for the big game season
    having appropriate licenses and unused tags for the big game season
    abiding by the hunting hours listed in the digest for the big game season

May I hunt coyotes on Sundays with my general hunting license during the big game season?
    Yes. You do NOT need a furtaker license to hunt coyotes on Sundays because Sundays are not considered open season for big game.

May I hunt coyotes at night during a big game season with my furtaker license?
    Yes. Only those with furtaker licenses may hunt coyotes at night during the big game season. However, you should expect to undergo quite a bit of scrutiny from a game warden if you are approached while hunting coyotes at night during a big game season. The wardens will just be doing their job under the circumstances.

May I use electronic predator calls and decoys while hunting coyotes?
    Yes. Electronic calls and decoys are permitted for coyote hunting.

May I use a dog to hunt furbearers?
    Dogs are permitted to hunt furbearers. Electronic devices used for locating dogs while training or hunting, including such devices as e-collars, radio-telemetry dog tracking systems and beeper collars are permitted.

What arms may I use to hunt coyotes?
    Firearms legal for hunting furbearers include semi-automatic and manually operated rifles or manually operated handguns of any caliber, manual or semi-automatic shotguns and, bows and crossbows. Air-or-gas-operated firearm of at least 22-caliber and propel a single-projectile pellet or bullet can be used. It is UNLAWFUL to take furbearers, including bobcats, with shotguns using shot larger than size number 4 buckshot, or implements that are not lawful firearms, bows or crossbows. Big game season coyote hunting firearm regulations apply. Please see bolded subhead above.

May I use a gun-mounted light while coyote hunting?
    Persons hunting for furbearers, including coyotes, foxes, bobcats, raccoons, skunks, opossums and weasels, may use gun-mounted lights that DO NOT project a laser-light beam.

Can I use a semi-automatic rifle to hunt coyotes?
    Yes. Semi-automatic rifles are lawful devices to hunt coyotes in Pennsylvania.

Where can I read more about coyote hunting?
    Details about furtaking seasons and bag limits can be found in the 2017-18 Hunting & Trapping Digest.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    A great FUDD comment. I personally am an adult and if I want to hunt predators or big game, that is my right. If you don't like to hunt X critter that is your right, just don't lecture anyone else, when we want to hunt. We don't need a reason or validation as to why we hunt.

Whoever asked if you can hunt with NV..not in PA as PA has some old laws that need to be changed.

OP, I doubt you are getting over 3300 FPS with a 223...unless you are loading some very light bullets. The 204 Ruger, 22-250, 243, can be loaded to some really fast speeds.

I'd be game for going predator hunting as I'm looking to meet some folks. I live in Montgomery County and would be willing to travel some. I have a farm in Dauphin county that we could hunt at, so PM me if anyone is interested.
    I wasn't trying to insinuate I could get 3300fps with 223, I was referring to 243. Another responder to the post had posted a confusing opinion. I checked load data on both rounds and with the same projectile weight (55gr). I can get almost 4k out of the 243 and "only" 3k in 223/5.56. I believe they had said go for speed and use 223 but 243 can be handloaded alot hotter. I'd imagine that a varmaggedan or vmax would pretty much explode on impact at 4k. I really need to get a reloading setup

Well that sucks. If you can hunt them at night with a weapon mounted light, I don't understand why you couldn't use NV with an IR mounted light.

(Lackawanna County)

I would go with 223 over 243 for coyotes because 243 can be loaded very fast and speed kills. I've been predator hunting for years and I've yet to kill a predator. They are tough to hunt and I would recommend hunting them early in the season...as the season goes on...they learn and adapt to hunters.
    Found the post I was referring to. They say go with 223 over 243 because 243 can be loaded fast & speed kills. 3000fps is still nothing to scoff at but 4000fps would make good use of a varmint grenade, v max, varmaggedan on any other highly expansive round. Plus since 243 is my deer rifle it already has a scope, sling & bipod ready whereas the AR has a RDS only.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    Well that sucks. If you can hunt them at night with a weapon mounted light, I don't understand why you couldn't use NV with an IR mounted light.
    Weapon mounted light... If you can afford it, there are NV & FLIR weapon sights. Gotta check those laws though

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post

I thought no it is felt that lasers and infra red devices violate the concept of fair chase.

(Bucks County)

Lighting up the eyes is fair. Happens all the time naturally. Not. (Just sayin'....PGC not very deep thinkers).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234