Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Senators Who Voted for HB 2060 Gun Confiscation Bill

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Did anyone actually read and understand the parts I emboldened?

''Under this legislation an individual found guilty and sentenced before a judge would be required to relinquish any and all firearms in their possession narrowing the window of time in which convicted abusers would have to relinquish their weapons from 60 days to 48 hours for an individual convicted of the misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

The defendant would be prohibited from turning over their weapons to a family member or friend and instead would be required to relinquish them to law enforcement, an authorized gun dealer or an attorney.
    ''

So you guys think violent convicted wife-beaters should keep their guns?
    I have yet to find the 48 hour window I keep seeing referenced in HB 2060. Only thing I can find relating to relinquishment of convicted abusers is 24 hours.

I also think this was intentionally a very complex bill, with an emotional component, and specifically designed to be very difficult to argue against. If you are against the bill, then you are for domestic violence? I do not believe things are quite that simple here. And having a recently divorced friend, it is amazing how ripe the system is for abuse for the dishonest ex.

Some FOAC concerns: https://foac-pac.org/uploads/talking...lems-Final.pdf

(Bucks County)

Mcilhinney is another Bucks County Republican who needs to be replaced. He came to our gun club about 5 years ago and told us how he is a staunch supporter of 2A. Since then he's done nothing to support us. Oh, I think he gets some hunting guides printed each fall for the Fudds who were fawning over him at that meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayette Patriot View Post
    I have yet to find the 48 hour window I keep seeing referenced in HB 2060. Only thing I can find relating to relinquishment of convicted abusers is 24 hours.

I also think this was intentionally a very complex bill, with an emotional component, and specifically designed to be very difficult to argue against. If you are against the bill, then you are for domestic violence? I do not believe things are quite that simple here. And having a recently divorced friend, it is amazing how ripe the system is for abuse for the dishonest ex.

Some FOAC concerns: https://foac-pac.org/uploads/talking...lems-Final.pdf
    I would say 48hrs from the minute the Judge's gavel hits the block after the GUILTY verdict.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

I would say 48hrs from the minute the Judge's gavel hits the block after the GUILTY verdict.
    Yes, but that is not what this bill says, to my knowledge it states in § 6105.2(b)(1): "Relinquishment to an appropriate law enforcement agency shall be made within a period not longer than 24 hours following conviction, except for cause shown, in which case the court shall specify the time for relinquishment of any or all of the person's firearms."

Again, I think there is considerable misinformation about this bill, and I have yet to find the 60 days reduced to 48 hours in the bill text.

(Montgomery County)

Did anyone actually read and understand the parts I emboldened?

''Under this legislation an individual found guilty and sentenced before a judge would be required to relinquish any and all firearms in their possession narrowing the window of time in which convicted abusers would have to relinquish their weapons from 60 days to 48 hours for an individual convicted of the misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

The defendant would be prohibited from turning over their weapons to a family member or friend and instead would be required to relinquish them to law enforcement, an authorized gun dealer or an attorney.
    ''

So you guys think violent convicted wife-beaters should keep their guns?
    HB 2060 specifies that anyone issued a final protection from abuse (PFA) order by a judge must surrender his guns to the police/sheriff within 24 hours.
    A final PFA is NOT a conviction of domestic abuse.

The bill may specify that someone who is also convicted of domestic abuse must also surrender the same, but that is not the issue here.
    That convict was already barred from owning guns upon conviction before this bill was passed.

PFA's are meant to be temporary until things get sorted out.
    PFA's are often weaponized during bitter divorces and other complicated issues like child custody battles.

Judges tend to always error on the side of caution with PFA's in order to separate the arguing couple until they figure out their issues.
    Judges tend to also issue final PFA's when the couple is still arguing over their kids or whatever 10 days later which is almost always when involving divorce.

A final PFA is not a conviction, once expired the guns are returned, unlike a domestic violence conviction where the person is barred for life from owning guns.

This bill turns a non-conviction, temporary, procedural, weaponized, domestic tool, into official gun confiscation by the state.

Up until now the final PFA guns surrendered were able to be given to a friend or family member out of the house, which reflected the temporary nature of the PFA issue.

This bill has removed the due process of a CONVICTION of a CRIME from the necessary criteria for the state to confiscate your guns within 24 hours.

It's a big deal.

Let me spell it out.
    You're married and have kids.
    Your wife is screwing the mailman.
    You file for divorce.
    Your wife wants the kids.
    Her lawyer says to file a PFA so she has standing to take the kids.
    The judge issues the PFA with zero evidence of anything which is how it is done, that is what a PFA is, just a document alleging some kind of abuse with no proof needed.
    10 days later you're still getting a divorce, and your wife still wants your kids, which you don't want raised by the mailman, so it gets bitter.
    So now you're back in front of the same judge who already issued a paper saying you're a wife beater and screwing a stripper or whatever else.
    You're pissed off about the cheating and lies, your wife's pissed off she got caught, you both have lawyers stirring up the situation and making a case for child custody.
    The judge sees all of this and says there should be no guns around so you don't kill each other.
    You have 24 hours to surrender your guns to the police.
    Now you're super pissed off that the procedural legal system has been weaponized against you to take your guns even though you didn't do anything.
    YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED ANY CRIME, yet.
    You can't believe what's happening, and you go to see your best friend Rupert who lives in a trailer by the beach screwing chicks in bikinis and has never married.
    You cry in your beer as you relay your tale of woe, Rupert feels bad for you and gives you some whiskey and asks a stripper sleeping on his couch to make you feel better.
    You forget your troubles as you drink your pain away watching Chastity contort herself over the couch.
    Maybe you get lucky, maybe you don't, I don't give a shit because it's not relevant to the story.
    You're not a drinker, you were a straight arrow all your life until you walked in on Betsy playing hide the envelope with your mailman who you gave socks to on Christmas.
    You wake up at 2:00PM the next day with a hangover and the clap, and suddenly realize that your guns were due at the sheriff at 10:00AM.
    Guess what, now you ARE a criminal because you missed a procedural confiscation deadline when you were NOT a criminal.
    The police broke down your door 4 hours ago and took your guns.
    Your neighbor Jimmy calls your cell and tells you the police are looking for you and wants to know why.
    Next thing you know you've been arrested and CONVICTED of violating the procedural deadline to turn in your guns, and now you ARE a criminal barred from owning guns for life.

I don't know about you, but I think it's a bad bill.
    Bern-
    Last edited by Berncly; October 6th, 2018 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typos
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

You're married and have kids.
    Your wife is screwing the mailman.
    You file for divorce.
    Your wife wants the kids.
    Her lawyer says to file a PFA so she has standing to take the kids.
    The judge issues the PFA with zero evidence of anything which is how it is done, that is what a PFA is, just a document alleging some kind of abuse with no proof needed.
    10 days later you're still getting a divorce, and your wife still wants your kids, which you don't want raised by the mailman, so it gets bitter.
    So now you're back in front of the same judge who already issues a paper saying you're a wife beater and screwing a stripper or whatever else.
    You're pissed off about the cheating and lies, your wife's pissed off she got caught, you both have lawyers stirring up the situation and making a case for child custody.
    The judge sees all of this and says there should be no guns around so you don't kill each other.
    You have 24 hours to surrender your guns to the police.
    Now you're super pissed off that the procedural legal system has been weaponized against you to take your guns even though you didn't do anything.
    YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED ANY CRIME, yet.
    You can't believe what's happening, and you go to see your best friend Rupert who lives in a trailer by the beach screwing chicks in bikinis and has never married.
    You cry in your beer as you relay your tale of woe, Rupert feels bad for you and gives you some whiskey and asks a stripper sleeping on his couch to make you feel better.
    You forget your troubles as you drink your pain away watching Chastity contort herself over the couch.
    Maybe you get lucky, maybe you don't, I don't give a shit because it's not relevant to the story.
    You're not a drinker, you were a straight arrow all your life until you walked in on Betsy playing hide the envelope with your mailman who you gave socks to on Christmas.
    You wake up at 2:00PM the next day with a hangover and the clap, and suddenly realize that your guns were due at the sheriff at 10:00AM.
    Guess what, now you ARE a criminal because you missed a procedural confiscation deadline when you were NOT a criminal.
    The police broke down your door 4 hours ago and took your guns.
    Your neighbor Jimmy calls your cell and tells you the police are looking for you and wants to know why.

Sounds like a real loser who can't satisfy his woman , can't control himself and probably shouldn't own guns to begin with.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like a real loser who can't satisfy his woman , can't control himself and probably shouldn't own guns to begin with.
    You're missing the point.
    We don't restrict people's Civil Rights because we don't like them.
    We only restrict people's Civil Rights when they commit a crime worthy of such restriction.
    HB 2060 has crossed the dividing line between conviction and routine procedure.
    Now that it's gone there is no way to reset that boundary between law abiding citizens and the state.
    This is a very big deal and brings us one step closer to being New Jersey.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Chester County)

PFA's are not a conviction. They are used as a weapon by unscrupulous lawyers to gain control over the entire proceedings so they can dictate the terms of the divorce. The issuance of PFA's with no evidence of abuse is the real menace and that now has to be dealt with because it's too late on the gun control and confiscation end. The elected elite know gun owners don't show up to vote so they do anything they damn well please.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Based on who's decision? Yours? Do you get to give and take away Constitutional Rights solely on who you see fit and unfit to own guns? This might be a real good time for a little soul searching into the US Constitution, our founding principles, and the rule of law in this country.

Mine voted no.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast