Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: 400 guns stolen from UPS in TN

They were lost in the river.

(York County)

Gunlawyer nailed it. The future is that restrictions on gun ownership will eventually dry up traditional black market supply points for criminal enterprise and criminals being resourceful, will try new ways to find guns.

In the not so distant future I expect home invasions of gun owners along with harvesting of identities on forums such as this to target those who do own certain types of guns.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    400 firearms, sounds like a commercial shipment. You'd think such things would go to and from a caged, secured area within the warehouse with controlled, limited access. Of course, that's common sense.
    when I drove for Roadway Express the satellite facilities were closed from early Saturday morning until 11 pm Sunday night.

generally, at the time, (90's) there were no surveillance cameras

most facilities were fenced in some were not. a very few had security guards. gates had combination locks and the combo was printed on our dispatch sheet.

when we brought in loaded trailers on the weekend we would back them against the docks. a skinny person could get in between the trailer and the dock but its not easy. the trailers all had roll up doors so they could be opened with the trailer against the dock. most road trailers you see on the highway have swing doors that must be opened before bumping the dock.

I was called in to be questioned once because a trailer I brought to the Windsor Connecticut facility and put against the dock was broken in to and a bunch of millwalkee power tools were stolen
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post
    when I drove for Roadway Express the satellite facilities were closed from early Saturday morning until 11 pm Sunday night.

generally, at the time, (90's) there were no surveillance cameras

most facilities were fenced in some were not. a very few had security guards. gates had combination locks and the combo was printed on our dispatch sheet.

when we brought in loaded trailers on the weekend we would back them against the docks. a skinny person could get in between the trailer and the dock but its not easy. the trailers all had roll up doors so they could be opened with the trailer against the dock. most road trailers you see on the highway have swing doors that must be opened before bumping the dock.

I was called in to be questioned once because a trailer I brought to the Windsor Connecticut facility and put against the dock was broken in to and a bunch of millwalkee power tools were stolen
    Did they ask you about the Oscars too?

UPS is not only UPS Small Package they are also UPS Freight, formerly known as Overnight Transportation and I would expect a shipment of this size to be on the latter. Many shipments of valuables are not labeled as such and are wrapped in black stretch wrap to conceal the contents. All 'paperwork' is now electronic so the average Joe wouldn't know what was being shipped (presuming it's on a pallet). We used to handle some whiskey at ABF once in a while but I never saw a firearm come through. I do remember REA Express stopping out front of the house and me accepting a pistol for my father, I was maybe 10 years old.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post

All 'paperwork' is now electronic
    not true.

shipper / reciever/ and commodity paperwork must be in drivers possession which is law

generally left in a mailbox at closed facilities
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Berks County)

not true.

shipper / reciever/ and commodity paperwork must be in drivers possession which is law

generally left in a mailbox at closed facilities
    Actually I was referring to the dock workers' 'paperwork' and you could be right. Being out of it for three years I don't know what road drivers carry but it's not a pack of bills like it was in 1990.

ETA: Where's the Oscars?

(Berks County)

ETA even more: As a city driver 3 years ago I had no paperwork on my freight out for delivery unless it was hazardous and my UPS Small Package guy who delivers here at the house has none either.

(York County)

Investigators are looking into exactly how many guns were taken, but the estimate of 400 stolen firearms makes it one of the largest single gun thefts the ATF has investigated, bureau spokesman Michael Knight said.
    Well as long as Michael Knight and KITT are on the job, I'm sure everything will turn out all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    $5000 reward for 400 firearms? They can do better than that.
    Lloyds of London would certainly pay a lot more than that !

1980s Riverhead N Y a UPS employee was observed throwning over the fence in back handguns that were to be delivered to LGSs !UPS does not do a good job vetting their employees !

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast