Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: 9mm or .40 for t1066

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 9mm, you're crazy to go with anything else.

51 75.00%
  • Buck the common wisdom, you should pick .40 S&W

11 16.18%
  • Something else...see comments.

6 8.82%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm or .40

(Bucks County)

Default 9mm or .40

I was planning on getting a .40 S&W for my duty carry gun, but based on some comments made to me and some research, I'm starting to think that 9mm might be a better choice.

The ballistics are pretty close, with a slight edge to the .40, but a duty carry pistol is one that I'm going to want to practice with a fair amount. 9mm would be cheaper to shoot and to reload, and probably have 2-3 more rounds per magazine.

Given those factors, should I go with the 9mm over the .40?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 9mm or .40

9mm ammo is also ubiquitous.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Why choose just one?

I've got a .40 S&W Sig P226 duty weapon, and a 9mm P229 that I practice with. They both have the same SRT trigger and both fit the same duty holster.

I'm not as concerned about having a couple less rounds in the duty weapon, since I always have two more mags on my belt. When carrying concealed, the extra rounds are more important because I'm usually not carrying spare mags.

(Berks County)

I'm almost all 9mm here but I know nothing about .40 so I can't speak on it. As Twoboxer said, 9mm is plenty available.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'm almost all 9mm here but I know nothing about .40 so I can't speak on it. As Twoboxer said, 9mm is plenty available.
    One nice thing, during The Great Ammo Panic, 40 S&W was the last one left on the shelf. And I've picked up 40 S&W cheap from people who sold their last .40 S&W gun and wanted to get rid of their ammo.

(Delaware County)

I always thought the 40 cal. was a solution in search of a problem.
    Other than my 45, all my service sized auto's are 9mm.
    Our brethren are already in the Field, why stand we here Idle?
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

A few thoughts...

If you plan to use this as your daily duty weapon pick something that doesn't make ammo cost a factor. You don't want to skimp on range time.

What do the other officers on your shift primarily carry? I'd want something compatible. If you're in a prolonged gun fight and down to your last mag of .40 it's really gonna suck when your backup tosses you a mag of 9mm thinking he's got your back.

What does your department recommend? Do they supply ammo? Can they get it at a reduced price?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    A few thoughts...

If you plan to use this as your daily duty weapon pick something that doesn't make ammo cost a factor. You don't want to skimp on range time.

What do the other officers on your shift primarily carry? I'd want something compatible. If you're in a prolonged gun fight and down to your last mag of .40 it's really gonna suck when your backup tosses you a mag of 9mm thinking he's got your back.

What does your department recommend? Do they supply ammo? Can they get it at a reduced price?
    Constables work as independent contractors for the district courts. We are a department of one, and we buy our own gear. I've seen lots if Glocks, a small number of 1911s, and a few Springfield XDs, Sigs, HKs, and S&W M&P.

(Philadelphia County)

My vote is .357 SIG. Hot and fast, more recoil than 9mm, but less than .40. Ammo can be pricey though.

As far as guns, the P226 and P229 are both great guns and great choices for duty. I have both in multiple calibers and don't remember having any issues with any of them.

Surplus City in Feasterville often has P226 police trade-ins for $350-450 in .40SW. The guns are in decent shape, with mild to moderate holster wear. I don't see any Sigs currently on their website, but they do have Gen4 Glock 22s for $325 w/ 2 mags. That might be a good starter option for you until you have funds to trade up to something better.

Since .40 has fallen out of favor lately, the prices of guns in .40 have come down. Tanner's and Surplus City often have great deals on new and used .40s. While the cost of the gun is lower, .40 ammo is generally a few bucks more than 9mm. I have purchased many firearms in .40 and later picked up a .357 conversion barrel for about $100.

I'm planning on going to Classic Pistol on Friday afternoon to do some shooting. If you're around, you're welcome to join me and try out my various Sigs, Glocks and HKs to help get a feel and narrow down your choices.

(Wyoming County)

For what little my opinion is worth - I'm going to say ballistic-ally 6 one way / half a dozen the other.

If you were getting a Glock I would say get a .40 & for another $ ~Benjamin + a Jackson grab a LW 9mm barrel and have 2 guns in one.

But I think it was your post asking about Sigs? I have no idea if they make them or how much conversion barrels even cost for them.

One thing to keep in mind is the flood of LEO .40's hitting the market. Get a great gun at a great price- Sigs, Glocks etc.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast