Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: 9mm or .40 for t1066

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 9mm, you're crazy to go with anything else.

51 75.00%
  • Buck the common wisdom, you should pick .40 S&W

11 16.18%
  • Something else...see comments.

6 8.82%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm or .40

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 9mm or .40

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    My vote is .357 SIG. Hot and fast, more recoil than 9mm, but less than .40. Ammo can be pricey though.

As far as guns, the P226 and P229 are both great guns and great choices for duty. I have both in multiple calibers and don't remember having any issues with any of them.

Surplus City in Feasterville often has P226 police trade-ins for $350-450 in .40SW. The guns are in decent shape, with mild to moderate holster wear. I don't see any Sigs currently on their website, but they do have Gen4 Glock 22s for $325 w/ 2 mags. That might be a good starter option for you until you have funds to trade up to something better.

Since .40 has fallen out of favor lately, the prices of guns in .40 have come down. Tanner's and Surplus City often have great deals on new and used .40s. While the cost of the gun is lower, .40 ammo is generally a few bucks more than 9mm. I have purchased many firearms in .40 and later picked up a .357 conversion barrel for about $100.

I'm planning on going to Classic Pistol on Friday afternoon to do some shooting. If you're around, you're welcome to join me and try out my various Sigs, Glocks and HKs to help get a feel and narrow down your choices.
    Got my LE trade in P226 from Surplus City...only two little nicks in the trigger guard, overall good condition with case and extra mag..$400 bucks

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Makes sense. ^^^
    I had a Glock G27 (40S&W) and couldn't shoot more than two mags through it before I never wanted to shoot a gun again.

It hurted my girly widdle wists, so I solded it.
    I’m sure your line of work has nothing to do with worn out wrists.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

40 vs 9? If you train with 40 exclusively you get accustom to the snap. Its only when you play with other calibers that you start to question your like of 40.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

All that matters is hitting your target. I shoot 9mm because it's cheaper and I'm able to shoot more for less money. If your department gives out practice ammo then I would go with that caliber. Otherwise I would buy 9mm and shoot more.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    All that matters is hitting your target. I shoot 9mm because it's cheaper and I'm able to shoot more for less money. If your department gives out practice ammo then I would go with that caliber. Otherwise I would buy 9mm and shoot more.
    Constables are their own department. Everything we have came out of our own pockets, except for the training. And that fund just ran out of money, so the training it getting cut way back for 2019 while they try and come up with a less expensive program.

(Chester County)

Go on YouTube and search “Paul Harrell police pistols 9mm vs .40 s&w”. Watch the video, then watch his other videos on 9mm and .40 s&w. Then decide for yourself what you want to carry.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Go on YouTube and search “Paul Harrell police pistols 9mm vs .40 s&w”. Watch the video, then watch his other videos on 9mm and .40 s&w. Then decide for yourself what you want to carry.
    Man that guy can shoot

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by jmh308 View Post
    Ill be the lone voice of dissent here: 40 S&W is a great round in modern duty sized guns that were designed for it. Its a bit much in compact guns, IMO, but very manageable in full sized pistol.

It puts .45 acp levels of muzzle energy into 9mm sized pistols, and it only comes at the expense of a few rounds of capacity. Whats not to love?

Its almost as though cartridge design evolved over the course of the intervening century and we got a round thats just plain better than 9mm or 45 ACP.

I really dont understand why everyones running away from .40 cal, but I hope it continues. Ill take advantage of the great deals that result.
    I agree with you.

I have a Smith 4006 that's actually comfortable to shoot and easy to rack and operate. My tiny wife shoots it at the range and I have no problems with it, having arthritis.

I did a ton of research on it and it came down to that or a Beretta Cougar in a LGS. Never regretted this...I even carry it sometimes (you saw it at the 2A rally in Harrisburg this year). If you want a 40 with low(er) recoil, look for a metal framed one like those two. They're both solid guns. (or Stoeger Cougar)

But, if anyone wants to make an offer for it (with 5 mags and all of my ammo, about 1500 rounds), I'll listen...I have this pesky AR-15 project that needs finished!

Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    One nice thing, during The Great Ammo Panic, 40 S&W was the last one left on the shelf. And I've picked up 40 S&W cheap from people who sold their last .40 S&W gun and wanted to get rid of their ammo.
    Agreed. I mostly buy 9s now, but back in the last shortage 9mm and 45 were unavailable and .40 was still everywhere. power wise and such I dont care, 9mm is fine unitl you want to jump up to 10mm or something more powerful.

(Berks County)

So 800 people viewed this thread and only 65 took the poll. Is this how political polls work, too?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast