Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Best Defense for Gun Room Humidity?

They refund after a year or 2? That is liberal, how do you manage that because I have surely had that happen to me.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

I've seen some big big desiccant packs online before. Like a 5lb can of the stuff. Might be worth a shot.

Time for an update....

I bought the items pictured below so I thought I'd provide a review now that I've been using them for a few weeks.

Dehumidifier - PROs: The dehumidifier is small which is good because it doesn't take up much room. It also doesn't put off heat. CONS: It only holds 24 oz of water. Due to the small size it is slow to fill taking about 3 days.

Dessicant - PROs: Easy to use, recharge, etc. This is the largest I could find. It is approx 7" in diameter and 5" tall. CONs: The Amazon description lack detail such as size. It arrived with a small dent in the side which seemed to be a common event based on customer feedback.

Dehumidifier Rod - PROS: At $12.74 for a 24" rod this was a super price. It came with a mounting bracket and 5 foot cord. CONs: None yet.

The desiccant and dehumidifier sit on my bench in an area where I don't use powder or have to worry about a water leak. The rod is mounted to a metal peg board over the bench where it's out of the way. The three items combined have dropped the humidity in the room over 20%. This morning when I checked the humidity was at 57%.

snap safe 2.JPGsnap safe.JPG

The Dehumidifier rods are essentially just a small heater meant for enclosed spaces such as a safe. I doubt it it really doing much in a larger room, but it couldn't hurt I guess.

I forgot to mention that my room has IIRC 15 to 20 watt bulb that runs continuously. Gotta take a look to be shure. Does it help? I would like to think so.
    Last edited by Daycrawler; October 16th, 2018 at 08:37 AM.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Time for an update....

I bought the items pictured below so I thought I'd provide a review now that I've been using them for a few weeks.

Dehumidifier - PROs: The dehumidifier is small which is good because it doesn't take up much room. It also doesn't put off heat. CONS: It only holds 24 oz of water. Due to the small size it is slow to fill taking about 3 days.

Dessicant - PROs: Easy to use, recharge, etc. This is the largest I could find. It is approx 7" in diameter and 5" tall. CONs: The Amazon description lack detail such as size. It arrived with a small dent in the side which seemed to be a common event based on customer feedback.

Dehumidifier Rod - PROS: At $12.74 for a 24" rod this was a super price. It came with a mounting bracket and 5 foot cord. CONs: None yet.

The desiccant and dehumidifier sit on my bench in an area where I don't use powder or have to worry about a water leak. The rod is mounted to a metal peg board over the bench where it's out of the way. The three items combined have dropped the humidity in the room over 20%. This morning when I checked the humidity was at 57%.

snap safe 2.JPGsnap safe.JPG
    Experiment? Turn off the goldenrod for a week and see what happens to the humidity?

it's just an electric heater.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

First off, I'm no expert, just passing on a few things to think about.
    First this summer was a bear. I'm in Cumberland County too, and I've had fuzz growing on my garage walls for the first time in 30 years.

Humidity is funny stuff. Warm air holds moisture. Cold air releases it. The percentage of humidity measured in the air is relative to the temperature (relative humidity). A dehumidifier, simply pulls air across a cooling coil. The now cold air releases its moisture in the form of condensation (into the collection bucket). That air is then re-heated and released from the dehumidifier. Now that warm air is able to absorb moisture from the room air, then gets sucked back to the dehumidifier and well, De-ja-vu.

My opinion, and just my opinion;
    A heater, will simply warm the air and the items in a space, allowing it to hold moisture, and the items, being warm, don't allow that moisture collecting (condense) on them. I believe if you are heating a space in an attempt to remove humidity, you must change that air. Circulate it to another space that has less relative humidity. I also believe that if you are trying to introduce air into a space, or exhaust air from a space, you must make up that air. In other words, if you are trying to push air from upstairs into your gun room, a path to remove that same amount of air from your gun room must be in place. Depending on the amount of air your are bringing in, the undercut of a door may be enough. But then think where is the air that is going under the door going to? Follow the path of the air and connect it from the beginning.

I've been thinking about humidity lately. I had the plan to build a hidden concealment compartment behind a large mirror in our room. Was going to do it inside the wall, which is the side of a closet in a mini hallway between the master bedroom and bathroom. Then I started wondering, will that be bad since the shower is just feet away around the corner?

Floor plan. The brown would be the inside-the-wall gun storage:

And just to clarify, doing similar to:

Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    I've been thinking about humidity lately. I had the plan to build a hidden concealment compartment behind a large mirror in our room. Was going to do it inside the wall, which is the side of a closet in a mini hallway between the master bedroom and bathroom. Then I started wondering, will that be bad since the shower is just feet away around the corner?

As long as you close the door and run the exhaust fan when showering I do not see a problem. If this is in an air conditioned house even less so.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post

And just to clarify, doing similar to:

I have some inductive switches that could be used to fire a solenoid to release a latch so that it could be opened. The idea would be that you would need to know exactly where to touch it to open.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast