Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Best Defense for Gun Room Humidity?

They refund after a year or 2? That is liberal, how do you manage that because I have surely had that happen to me.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Centre County)

I've seen some big big desiccant packs online before. Like a 5lb can of the stuff. Might be worth a shot.

(Cumberland County)

Time for an update....

I bought the items pictured below so I thought I'd provide a review now that I've been using them for a few weeks.

Dehumidifier - PROs: The dehumidifier is small which is good because it doesn't take up much room. It also doesn't put off heat. CONS: It only holds 24 oz of water. Due to the small size it is slow to fill taking about 3 days.

Dessicant - PROs: Easy to use, recharge, etc. This is the largest I could find. It is approx 7" in diameter and 5" tall. CONs: The Amazon description lack detail such as size. It arrived with a small dent in the side which seemed to be a common event based on customer feedback.

Dehumidifier Rod - PROS: At $12.74 for a 24" rod this was a super price. It came with a mounting bracket and 5 foot cord. CONs: None yet.

The desiccant and dehumidifier sit on my bench in an area where I don't use powder or have to worry about a water leak. The rod is mounted to a metal peg board over the bench where it's out of the way. The three items combined have dropped the humidity in the room over 20%. This morning when I checked the humidity was at 57%.

snap safe 2.JPGsnap safe.JPG

(Centre County)

The Dehumidifier rods are essentially just a small heater meant for enclosed spaces such as a safe. I doubt it it really doing much in a larger room, but it couldn't hurt I guess.

I forgot to mention that my room has IIRC 15 to 20 watt bulb that runs continuously. Gotta take a look to be shure. Does it help? I would like to think so.
    Last edited by Daycrawler; October 16th, 2018 at 08:37 AM.
    “Proclaim Liberty throughout all the Land unto all the Inhabitants thereof.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Time for an update....

I bought the items pictured below so I thought I'd provide a review now that I've been using them for a few weeks.

Dehumidifier - PROs: The dehumidifier is small which is good because it doesn't take up much room. It also doesn't put off heat. CONS: It only holds 24 oz of water. Due to the small size it is slow to fill taking about 3 days.

Dessicant - PROs: Easy to use, recharge, etc. This is the largest I could find. It is approx 7" in diameter and 5" tall. CONs: The Amazon description lack detail such as size. It arrived with a small dent in the side which seemed to be a common event based on customer feedback.

Dehumidifier Rod - PROS: At $12.74 for a 24" rod this was a super price. It came with a mounting bracket and 5 foot cord. CONs: None yet.

The desiccant and dehumidifier sit on my bench in an area where I don't use powder or have to worry about a water leak. The rod is mounted to a metal peg board over the bench where it's out of the way. The three items combined have dropped the humidity in the room over 20%. This morning when I checked the humidity was at 57%.

snap safe 2.JPGsnap safe.JPG
    Experiment? Turn off the goldenrod for a week and see what happens to the humidity?

it's just an electric heater.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345