Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Best Defense for Gun Room Humidity?

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Due to the location of the room and the entry door it isn't even apparent the room exists. A fan or duct between the rooms would also point out the existence to repairmen, visitors, etc.

I like the idea. In hindsight I should have installed a low wattage exhaust fan and routed the exhaust to an exterior wall. I don't know that I want to cut a 20 foot path through a finished dry wall ceiling now
    If we all had hind sight, we wouldn't have to any questions. What about a radon fan for drawing fumes out, as well as air circulation? Around my area they are as common as a front door. The fans don't even stick out anymore.

On Sunday night my wife asked me why I have so many guns and mentioned I should sell some.
    Tell her you have these things because you dont, drink like a fish, do drugs and hang out at the tittie bars. I like my things, and my wife likes vacations. She is again going to Disney again this year. Next year Punta Cana. I said go have fun.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

My wife just asks me where the war's at.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    If we all had hind sight, we wouldn't have to any questions. What about a radon fan for drawing fumes out, as well as air circulation? Around my area they are as common as a front door. The fans don't even stick out anymore.

Tell her you have these things because you dont, drink like a fish, do drugs and hang out at the tittie bars. I like my things, and my wife likes vacations. She is again going to Disney again this year. Next year Punta Cana. I said go have fun.
    I had not thought of the radon fan idea. I already have a fan that vents the basement slab. have you priced them? I replaced my fan 2 years ago and it was a $600 part.

I do have my things, don't drink like a fish, etc... But I also have to set some cash aside for my girlfriend that likes Disney and beach vacations but that's another story.

I had not thought of the radon fan idea. I already have a fan that vents the basement slab. have you priced them? I replaced my fan 2 years ago and it was a $600 part.

I do have my things, don't drink like a fish, etc... But I also have to set some cash aside for my girlfriend that likes Disney and beach vacations but that's another story.

$114 isn't too bad. If you like Disney that much go for it! That leaves me more money for stuff.
    https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCDQ&adurl=
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

I stopped at Lowes to see if they have UV lights and the answer was "no". When I explained what it was for the employee did tell me to make sure I get a florescent fixture for a true UV benefit. He explained the newer LED version are only good for the black light effect, they don't emit UV.

So... 10 minutes later I walked out of Party City with this. 18" florescent wall or ceiling mountable UV / Black Light with a 4 ft cord.

Attachment 111036
    Lowe’s employees are like gun shop employees, false info abounds. UV leds emit uv light. They use them to cure plastics.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Lancaster County)

I stopped at Lowes to see if they have UV lights and the answer was "no". When I explained what it was for the employee did tell me to make sure I get a florescent fixture for a true UV benefit. He explained the newer LED version are only good for the black light effect, they don't emit UV.

So... 10 minutes later I walked out of Party City with this. 18" florescent wall or ceiling mountable UV / Black Light with a 4 ft cord.

Attachment 111036
    There are three different kinds of UV light, UV-A, UV-B and UV-C. Each one has different properties. UV-A and B are relatively safe, just don't stare directly into them for long period. UV-C is the one that actually "kills" germs. In reality, it doesn't really kill them, it prevents them from reproducing, at least that's what a biochemist explained to me one time. Right now there are LED's available that produce each type with UV-B being the most commonly available. UV-C LED's are just now hitting the market, and they're currently very expensive. In a few more years we'll be able to get them for pennies a piece.

I did make a large array of UV-B LED's a couple years ago, 440 5mm LED's with 220 resistors, all hand soldered.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    There are three different kinds of UV light, UV-A, UV-B and UV-C. Each one has different properties. UV-A and B are relatively safe, just don't stare directly into them for long period. UV-C is the one that actually "kills" germs. In reality, it doesn't really kill them, it prevents them from reproducing, at least that's what a biochemist explained to me one time. Right now there are LED's available that produce each type with UV-B being the most commonly available. UV-C LED's are just now hitting the market, and they're currently very expensive. In a few more years we'll be able to get them for pennies a piece.

I did make a large array of UV-B LED's a couple years ago, 440 5mm LED's with 220 resistors, all hand soldered.

After some additional reading last night I found the UV emitted from black lights is the wrong wavelength. Back to the store it goes. In addition, I found a few articles on the impact of UV on furniture, materials, etc... I think I'll ditch the UV idea. I don't want to have to worry about damage to stocks and other items.

(Lancaster County)

After some additional reading last night I found the UV emitted from black lights is the wrong wavelength. Back to the store it goes. In addition, I found a few articles on the impact of UV on furniture, materials, etc... I think I'll ditch the UV idea. I don't want to have to worry about damage to stocks and other items.
    Yes, UV is not something you just play around with. The materials it's used around should be very specific. You do not want to indiscriminately be blasting UV around everything. The guy at Lowes was kind of correct, just a shame he only knew part of the issue and couldn't explain it better. You can get UV-C bulbs, but they're rather expensive, and they don't have a long life.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Yes, UV is not something you just play around with. The materials it's used around should be very specific. You do not want to indiscriminately be blasting UV around everything. The guy at Lowes was kind of correct, just a shame he only knew part of the issue and couldn't explain it better. You can get UV-C bulbs, but they're rather expensive, and they don't have a long life.
    This makes sense when you look at UV usage for water and air purification. In those cases the light source is in a enclosed environment so the UV light is in close proximity to the water/air and it is shielded from eye exposure.

Thanks for the feedback

(Chester County)

Have two "Lowe's" dehumidifiers in the basement.

The one in the storage room has a pump that pushes water into the AC pump which when it fills then gets pumped outside.

The one in the reloading/etc. room just collects water and I usually empty it 2x/day. Which in another month or so will be 1x per day. Then nothing during winter...

We usually keep things down there at 37 or so and it seems to work fine.

The only bad thing is that some of the dehumidifiers crap out after a year or two (made in China?) - but when they do, we always return them to Lowe's (with our purchase receipt always taped to the back of the dehumidifier on the date we purchased) for a refund and pick up a new one in the process...
    Last edited by bamboomaster; October 6th, 2018 at 08:23 PM.
    - bamboomaster

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast