Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default retrieving handgun from PSP

I need some insight on retrieving a handgun for the PSP.

Yesterday, my brother was returning home to Lansdale from the Poconos after he, my brother and I, spent the morning pulling the dock from Lake Wallenpaupack at my dads cabin. He was on his Harley on 412 in Springfield Township Bucks county when some guy pulled out of a side road to make a left turn and apparently never saw my brother. My brother tried to avoid the guy but the guy never stopped and my brother hit him on the front driver side, catapulting him over the car and onto the berm on the other side of the road. By the grace of God, a couple of trauma nurses were on the same road on the way to a wedding and stopped and got a tourniquet on him before he bled out. He is in the ICU with 3 breaks to his leg, a broken ankle and a broken nose. He got 3 units of blood at the ER. The doctors are uncertain if they will be able to save his leg. He has had 1 surgery so far to insert rods to stabilize his leg with a couple more starting tomorrow to clean out all the debris before they can determine the prognosis.

He was OC'ing his Kahr 9mm at the time of the accident. When he hit the car, the gun separated from him. A corrections officer who arrived upon the scene recovered the gun and gave it to the PSP. I called them and they verified that it is in their possession and that my brother needs to contact a Trooper Hickam to retrieve it. My brother will not be on his feet (or foot.....) anytime soon.

Any advice on what is involved in getting his gun back?

On a side note:

- does anyone know what fire dept serves that area? My family would like to thank them for their service
    - these 2 trauma nurse who saved my brother actually work in the ICU where he currently is (St Luke's in Bethlehem). I met one while I was visiting my brother and offered to replace her dress thinking that it was probably ruined but she declined. Having them at the scene was an act of God............end of story and not subject to debate.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: retrieving handgun from PSP

No advise, but I hope he makes a full recovery.
    "He who is Brave, is Free" Seneca
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

(Wayne County)

DonBiase said it best, worry about the leg.

(Centre County)

I would contact the barracks that has the gun and explain the circumstances and see what they say. If you and/or any other member of the family has your LTCF, then they should be able to release it to you (my opinion) upon proving you are family.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Somerset County)

No advice on the gun either but best wishes for your brother, you and the rest of the family. It will be long recovery, all of you hang in there.

Dale

(Berks County)

It sounds like a horrible accident for your brother, hope he fares well and I can't help either.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

I hope your Brother gets through with a minimal amount of damage. It's rough going breaking a leg like that. I had a friend that broke his leg in basically the same manner. Today he can walk after much physical therapy. Thank GOD for nurses.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Prayers for your brother and family ! Last I would be concerned about is the handgun !

Sorry your brother got hurt. I hope he gets better soon. As for the gun I think you should write a letter stating that the pistol is not abandoned property. Have your brother sign it.
    It should say something like this.

On 9/29/18 at 3:30 pm I _________________ was involved in a motorcycle accident. My pistol was turned over to a trooper for safe keeping. Please be advised that I have not abandoned my property.

Keep it short and to the point. When he is better someone can take him the PSP and retrieve the pistol.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Perry County)

He needs to contact the property officer at the barracks. He can do it by phone, there isn't a time crunch. Once in contact, he can give the property officer an idea when he'll be able to get in to pick it up. It's likely that they won't release it to someone else without some type of legal release like a limited power of attorney or something along those lines. When he's ready to pick it up, he can let the property officer know. Ours would run the PICS before they got there so there wasn't a lot of waiting around.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast