Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: 10mm pistol recommendations

Metal frame DA/SA guns in 10 are few and far between anymore. The Sig 220 and EAA are pretty much it on the market new right now. If you're open to polymer DA/SA I've heard really good things about the Grand Power P40.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    The Sig p220 is the only viable 10mm pistol in current production. I agree with Smith and Wesson 1006 being a very good choice too but it is out of production.
    How so? The Glock and the Grand Power are pretty well reguarded in the polymer realm. The steel EAA tanfanglio guns are are as well. They take most major European shooting events by a wide margin.

Edit:. Not saying the Sig is a poor choice. I just don't see it as the only viable option.

(Blair County)

Personally I wouldnt rule out the glocks, I have all three and they are excellent shooters. They tame the recoil better then most other guns. I also have a RIA 1911, which in spite of being a pos out of the box, a short 10 days back to the factory and now its perfect for 600$. I have a g40mos with burris III id make you a good deal on. I mostly shoot 155gr noslers at 1450fps (actual chrono) Underwood claims 1500 with this lod but actually chronos at 1375 ish....even through the 6" barrel it doesnt make 1450, Mine make almost 1550 in the 6 inch. I wouldnt say they are uncomfortable in the 1911, but they are a breeze in the glocks.,

(Northampton County)

The Grand Power is a nice easy recoil due to the rotating barrel system great shooter ,you don't think that you are shooting 10 mm. Mgas are tight don't try to load them to full capacity when they are new, break them in for a while. Next Grand Power for me will be the 45 ACP version cause the ammo is cheaper. !0 mm 1911's tend to be on the heavy side so recoil is not bad with them either. I owned a 10 mm glock and sold did not care for the recoil.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    How so? The Glock and the Grand Power are pretty well reguarded in the polymer realm. The steel EAA tanfanglio guns are are as well. They take most major European shooting events by a wide margin.

Edit:. Not saying the Sig is a poor choice. I just don't see it as the only viable option.
    OP said he wanted a DA/SA and the Sig is the only option for that in production. Glocks are striker fired if I remember correctly. I own a striker fired pistol and it works OK but I had to replace the plastic striker guide because they break.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Northampton County)

The Grand Power is DA / SA ,but it has a Poly frame. second it has better factory trigger system than Sig . I own Sig I own Grand Power and yes I sold my 10 mm Glock. Another option is the EAA Tanfoglio pistols. They have DA/SA handguns with both poly and steel frames in 10 mm.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    OP said he wanted a DA/SA and the Sig is the only option for that in production. Glocks are striker fired if I remember correctly. I own a striker fired pistol and it works OK but I had to replace the plastic striker guide because they break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    The Grand Power is DA / SA ,but it has a Poly frame. second it has better factory trigger system than Sig . I own Sig I own Grand Power and yes I sold my 10 mm Glock. Another option is the EAA Tanfoglio pistols. They have DA/SA handguns with both poly and steel frames in 10 mm.
    Brian covered it for me. There's just other options for da/said out there. Both are lower priced than the sig and double stacks.

(Bucks County)

I have two Glocks (Gen 3 G20 & Gen 4 G29), a 1006 and a Ruger SR1911 and I had a Delta Elite and a Gen 3 G29.

My 29 is my daily carry. The Ruger is by far the best of my 10mm’s. It’s reliable and accurate and much less expensive than other 10mm 1911s.

I like shooting my 1006, but it’s a big, heavy gun that I think would get annoying to carry after a while, even in the winter.

No actual shooting experience at all with EAA, SIG or Grand Power. I looked at a Grand Power once and it’s the worst fitting pistol for my hand ever.

Check out the Ruger SR1911. It will be at the lower end of your budget and I think you’d have a hard time finding a more solid 10mm.

Thanks for the recommendations everybody. I should have mentioned that I plan to reload most of the ammo for this, which steers me away from Glocks and their unsupported chamber.
    As for the use....I dunno....I have most of them covered, so this is just something I wanna experiment with. So, "range toy" I guess.

Sig 220 looks great but theyre pricey.

While I prefer SA/DA, im not opposed to the 1911 format, and Kimber makes a stainless target longslide which is in my price range. Anybody have experience with one of those?

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Karys View Post
    I have two Glocks (Gen 3 G20 & Gen 4 G29), a 1006 and a Ruger SR1911 and I had a Delta Elite and a Gen 3 G29.

My 29 is my daily carry. The Ruger is by far the best of my 10mm’s. It’s reliable and accurate and much less expensive than other 10mm 1911s.

I like shooting my 1006, but it’s a big, heavy gun that I think would get annoying to carry after a while, even in the winter.

No actual shooting experience at all with EAA, SIG or Grand Power. I looked at a Grand Power once and it’s the worst fitting pistol for my hand ever.

Check out the Ruger SR1911. It will be at the lower end of your budget and I think you’d have a hard time finding a more solid 10mm.
    Personally I think the RIA is a nicer gun. A;though mine had to be sent back to the factory to be 100% it was also cheaper then the ruger by a little and looks much nicer and comes with g10 grips. Ive read alot of reviews about the Ruger 10mms needing to be sent back in to be 100% as well. I think that is the norm for a lower end 10 mm 1911. Ive read the worst reviews of Kimbers. Seems like only the 2k+$ ones work perfect right out of the box.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast