Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Bow Hunting Week 1, What did you see? How Did it go?

Happy hunting

Can't wait to get in a tree this morning. Perfect WNW breeze. Heading out to my traditional opening day spot here in Dauphin Co. Nothing like being 20 feet up a tree and watching day break and the world come to life.

Hope you have a safe, and enjoyable season in Penns Woods. Post your hunting reports in this thread so the other bowhunters can enjoy your stories and observations.

I will hunt this AM and then back out in the PM. Check back in with reports of the hunt.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Bow Hunting Week 1, What did you see? How Did it go?

What a great early Fall morning for bowhunting. Can't go out today because this morning, my wife a I are headed down to OBX for several days and a tuna trip on The Doghouse from Wicked Tuna OBX. Keep us in the loop & good luck, be safe.

(Allegheny County)

It's actually been the second week for me.
    I passed on a small 8 point the first morning (15 Sept).
    Picture is in the Archery 2018 thread.

I've been out a half dozen times and this pic is an indicator of what I've seen.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/101828248@N08/zvJ24n

I have a lot of nocturnal deer. Nothing in daylight yet.
    The you tube vids are there too.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Berks County)

Yet to get out however I hold out hope to get out as much as I can while maintaining a marriage ha ha!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Dauphin County)

Morning hunt in 5B was awesome. Before daybreak with the moon and lots of fog, had a small owl land about 10' from my face. Very very cool bird. After sunrise a ground hog surfaced and had him at 10 yards while switching to an broad head for ground hogs he caught my movement and he dove back into his hole. Around 8:30 a nice doe with a BB in tow came in and gave e a nice broadside quartering away shot. Broadhead was dead center heart shot and shattered the leg bone of the far side. She dove right after the shot and slammed a tree. Walked about 10' stood for a few seconds and dropped dead in sight. Great great morning hunt.

doe.jpg

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    Morning hunt in 5B was awesome. Before daybreak with the moon and lots of fog, had a small owl land about 10' from my face. Very very cool bird. After sunrise a ground hog surfaced and had him at 10 yards while switching to an broad head for ground hogs he caught my movement and he dove back into his hole. Around 8:30 a nice doe with a BB in tow came in and gave e a nice broadside quartering away shot. Broadhead was dead center heart shot and shattered the leg bone of the far side. She dove right after the shot and slammed a tree. Walked about 10' stood for a few seconds and dropped dead in sight. Great great morning hunt.

doe.jpg
    Congrats on a nice doe.
    Good job.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

I went out yesterday afternoon. I sat in a brand new location. I am happy to say I saw several doe, and verified that my painstaking efforts to be scent free this year worked well. I had a mature doe downwind from me at 13 yards feeding and she never even so much as went on the alert. Saving a doe tag for pistol hunt, so I never raised my bow. I'm not much for hunting archery when everything is still green. The rut can't get here fast enough.

(Bucks County)

My hunting partner got a doe up in 2G around 5:30 Pm Saturday. Before I got out of stand to help him track it (she went several hundred yards in thick woods but we found her) I had one spike in range.

Congrats to those that harvested.

(York County)

I'll tell you how it went....I hoped to get out at least morning and evening if not all day. In the end, I had zero time in the woods. Jealous of those who got out. I need some tree time.

(Dauphin County)

Got to Hunt Opening Day and took a nice doe with a Heart Shot as I posted above. In the evening, I hunted a different spot near a grove a Chestnuts and took a second doe. HUnted again on Tuesday and donated a pint of blood to mosquitos only saw two doe moving at distance quickly through the brush. Hunted a food plot Thursday night and used my Thermo Cell...saw one lone doe wind was shifting but at least the thermo cell keep the skeeters off.

Saturday morning slept in and fishined buttering, wrapping and making some jerky out of the opening day Doe. Saturday evening hunted by the Swatara Creek and saw two young bucks harassing a doe around 5 PM and then at 6:30 saw maybe 6 Buck come out of the corn almost like they were still in their bachelor groups then I could could hear them splashing around a swampy area and some antler clashing. at very last light too dark for my eyes to shoot I was able to see them with my Binos at 50 yards and then they stopped threw their noses up in the air and must have caught my scent. Wind was swirling but a great encounter and I know where I am going Monday evening if the rain holds off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast