Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
We shouldn't have to wait a week.
Not everyone visits the forum daily, and despite the overwhelming support for every nominee to date, every current active member should have a reasonable chance to weigh in, even if it's only to add their own meager support to what exists.

It also provides a bit of safety net for the site, to not hold someone up who may have had an unknown dark secret. Not everyone is the same IRL as they are here on the forum. There should be a SMALL window to allow for unknown facts to surface. It's very common for folks have haven't posted here for years to return to remember someone who has passed, as word spreads through social media and other networks. The week time frame allows time for word to spread, and for a nominee to collect as much public support as they can, while still allowing for the small possibility that something unknown to the general membership that could possibly preclude the honor.

I know the timing of my comments isn't the best, given the Kavanaugh hearings and current political uproar, but I was on staff when the policy was developed - sadly, because of the first known death of a participant here. I agree with it and support it.

If you recognize the username 'RWhiteman', you should too.