Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Hunting

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Sunday Hunting

Thanks for posting. I just called stefanos office and told them I want Sunday hunting

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    Here is the language of the LAW "Hunting on Sunday Prohibited" . Not sure what else you would call it. read it for yourself.

Title 34 of the PA General Assembly-

§ 2303. Hunting on Sunday prohibited.

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt for any furbearer or game on Sunday.

(b) Construction of section.--This section shall not be construed to prohibit:

(1) The training of dogs.

(2) The participation in dog trials as provided for in this title.

(3) The removal of lawfully taken game or wildlife from traps or the resetting of the traps on Sunday.

(b.1) Exceptions.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(1) The hunting of foxes.

(2) The hunting of coyotes.

(3) Any hunting which occurs on noncommercial regulated hunting grounds holding a valid permit under section 2928(b)(2) (relating to regulated hunting grounds permits).

(c) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

(Dec. 17, 1990, P.L.724, No.180, eff. 60 days; June 22, 1994, P.L.356, No.53, eff. imd.)
    Since the law itself uses the word 'hunting' (hunting of foxes and hunting of coyotes), I would call it hunting. Seems pretty clear cut to me that you can indeed hunt on Sunday in Pa.

Dale

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Since the law itself uses the word 'hunting' (hunting of foxes and hunting of coyotes), I would call it hunting. Seems pretty clear cut to me that you can indeed hunt on Sunday in Pa.

Dale
    I think the issue is the principle of it and how it is worded. The law bans all Sunday hunting, then exempts it for foxes and coyotes. NJ does a similar thing with their firearms laws. Firearms are banned in NJ, and then there are exemptions listed (including when hunting, etc.)

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman05 View Post
    Thanks for posting. I just called stefanos office and told them I want Sunday hunting
    Thanks. I think it would also be helpful if you contacted the NRA-ILA . and told them to get behind Senate Bill #1202.

https://www.nraila.org/contact-nra-ila/

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post

Dale
    So the law allows less than 3% of hunters to hunt on Sunday for only but only for varmints that nobody eats and most successful people trap. That’s like saying you can get your LTCF but you can only carry a pistol made from 1920 to 1960 that is .32 cal or smaller. It is an artificial limitation that serves zero purpose.

(Dauphin County)

In addition to this current law being a Prohibition. It suppresses hunter recruitment and the sale of hunting licenses. This hurts conservation funding. I want to hunt on Sunday. But I also want young hunters to have time to hunt and SUnday is often the only time for them to hunt. I want working people who might have to work on Saturday the opportunity to hunt. I want hunting numbers to increase, I want hunting license sales to increase. This increases the likelihood of new members joining the NRA. Sunday Hunting benefits non-hunting gun owners as well as non-hunting lovers o the outdoors and wildplaces. The Prohibition needs to come to an end.
    Last edited by PAwhitetailbowhunter; October 4th, 2018 at 10:09 AM.

(Centre County)

Has not the farming advocacy groups been the biggest opponent of Sunday hunting? If so, has provisions in proposed law been made to allow farmers to close their property to Sunday hunting but allow it the other 6 days of the week without losing participation in Game Commission programs?
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by archie19 View Post
    Has not the farming advocacy groups been the biggest opponent of Sunday hunting? If so, has provisions in proposed law been made to allow farmers to close their property to Sunday hunting but allow it the other 6 days of the week without losing participation in Game Commission programs?

For us in Maryland it's the Horse people that have fought us on Sunday hunting. I don't know if it's the same in PA or not.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    For us in Maryland it's the Horse people that have fought us on Sunday hunting. I don't know if it's the same in PA or not.
    Horse and mountain bike groups, I believe both are opposed but I had the impression, right or wrong, the legislature was seemingly putting more weight to the farm groups opposition.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by archie19 View Post
    Horse and mountain bike groups, I believe both are opposed but I had the impression, right or wrong, the legislature was seemingly putting more weight to the farm groups opposition.
    The Farm Bureau is the biggest obstacle to Sunday hunting. Every PGC meeting their legislative rep complains about deer damage while opposing Sunday hunting. They represent a small percentage of the farmers but must have some big bucks to spread around that keeps the reptiles in the legislature from voting for Sunday hunting. They even oppose Sunday hunting on SGL and state forests. They know that is how it was fully implemented in other states. Once people saw all the terrible things about Sunday hunting didn't happen it was no longer an issue.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast