Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default SGL 203 re-opening Sept 28

SGL 203 has been closed since Sept 10 and re-opens Sept 28. Last I went there, it was a handgun only range (according to the signage). Anyone know what to expect after it opens? I'd like to try to get out there next week sometime.

Default Re: SGL 203 re-opening Sept 28

Quote Originally Posted by neillm View Post
    SGL 203 has been closed since Sept 10 and re-opens Sept 28. Last I went there, it was a handgun only range (according to the signage). Anyone know what to expect after it opens? I'd like to try to get out there next week sometime.

Make sure you follow all the rules. You can bet that the PAGC will be watching for any type of offence. And all ways watch your back. SGL ranges are known for stupidity, such as people walking out on a hot range.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Make sure you follow all the rules. You can bet that the PAGC will be watching for any type of offence. And all ways watch your back. SGL ranges are known for stupidity, such as people walking out on a hot range.
    Will do.

I was wondering if anyone knows what they were doing during that time, or if rifles will be allowed on re-open. Also, is there a trap area near there that anyone can comment on?

Got a chance to get out to SGL 203 again today, and it was nice and quiet, just how I like it (the only person shooting on my side of the range). I'm new to the area, so I didn't actually realize that the rifle range was separate from the pistol range. I wasn't able to try the rifle range today, but at least I know where it is now ... maybe next week. I'd still like to find a place to practice shotgun shooting (it's been years). Any suggestions?

While the rifle range on SGL 203 is nice, there are some disappointments.

There are drainage ditches and culvert pipes to direct runoff water away from the range but there is no crown to the range to direct the water to the ditches. Whoever did the grade work didn’t know what they were doing. The water ponds on the range, wear boots.

The shooting benches are bolted to the concrete slab under the roof. You can shoot from a bench or from between the benches in standing position. It is impossible to shoot kneeling, sitting, or prone. There are rails in front of the benches that block the shooters view of the targets and are in the way of the muzzle. At the range in Centre County, the benches are bolted to a chain so you can move the bench to the rear and there are no rails in front of the benches to obscure your muzzle or the view of the target; you can shoot from all four positions traditionally used by marksmen.

Quote Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
    While the rifle range on SGL 203 is nice, there are some disappointments.

There are drainage ditches and culvert pipes to direct runoff water away from the range but there is no crown to the range to direct the water to the ditches. Whoever did the grade work didn’t know what they were doing. The water ponds on the range, wear boots.

The shooting benches are bolted to the concrete slab under the roof. You can shoot from a bench or from between the benches in standing position. It is impossible to shoot kneeling, sitting, or prone. There are rails in front of the benches that block the shooters view of the targets and are in the way of the muzzle. At the range in Centre County, the benches are bolted to a chain so you can move the bench to the rear and there are no rails in front of the benches to obscure your muzzle or the view of the target; you can shoot from all four positions traditionally used by marksmen.
    Good to know, thanks! I guess now that you mention it, there was some mud on the pistol ranges, but it wasn't enough to need boots (even though it was raining a little while I was there). I'll definitely keep that in mind. Good to know about the rifle shot positions too. I think I would mostly be looking for standing or bench, but I guess I haven't really considered the others much. If I go back, I'll report back!