Quote Originally Posted by jim-analog View Post
Greetings,

Would someone who understands this a bit more please help me to clarify this portion of the bill?

"The provisions of this section shall
not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license
to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6)
(relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor
shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit
persons to carry firearms in a vehicle http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...05&page=8where such conduct is
prohibited by section 6106"

It *seems* to me to honor a PA LTCF, but I'm not certain. I'd like to figure this out prior to contacting my (recently flipped to anti) congress critter. Thanks much!!!

Regards, Jim
People who are "excepted" from license requirement are cops and soldiers and Act 235 folks. Having an LTCF does NOT put you into the category of "people who don't need to have an LTCF".

The last line says that this new law does not create permission for anyone to carry a firearm if they would be barred from carrying under 6106. It does NOT create an exception for LTCF holder under the new law, which bars everyone from carrying loaded guns in cars, except for cops and soldiers and Act 235 armed guards.

It further bumps the grading of the offense of carrying a loaded long gun from a small summary offense to a serious misdemeanor. The ban on loaded long guns was a carryover from the Game Code, intended to deter poachers. This criminalizes that, allowing you to be sent to jail for an offense equivalent to not wearing enough orange while hunting.

These criminalize behavior where there's no identifiable victim, no harm done, no criminal intent.

Basically, 6106 outlaws carrying a handgun in a car without a license, unless you're "excepted". With an LTCF, you can carry a handgun in a car.

This new change outlaws carrying ANY loaded gun in a car, unless you're excepted. An LTCF is not an exception. Saying that this law shall not "be construed to permit
persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106", is not at all the same as saying that if 6106 allows you to carry loaded in a car, then this new law will too. That's just not what it says. It doesn't affirmatively carve out an exception, it explicitly says it is NOT carving out an exception for LTCF holders.