Default Re: H.B. 2669

What does this mean..

General rule.--Except as provided in Title 34 (relating
    11 to game), no person shall carry a loaded [pistol, revolver,

no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver

12 shotgun or rifle, other than a] firearm as defined in section

shotgun, or rifle except a firearm as defined in section

13 [6102 (relating to definitions)]

now I am NOT a lawyer... but can someone with more legal knowledge explain how that does not literally say "no one can carry a gun EXCEPT a firearm as defined in 6102?

EDIT: I missed the first bracket.. I see it now.. what exactly is a "other than a"
    Last edited by vladtepes; October 4th, 2018 at 08:32 PM.

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

if this passes I am going to open carry a 26.5in ar15 everywhere I go with a 100 round drum..

PickingPA Guest

What is the status of this legislation? I get email notifications from NRA-ILA when there are potential bills that cause an alert to “write your lawmakers” to express support or opposition - many times at the state level.

This bill is a MAJOR deviation from the PA LTCF permissions, I would expect this should be causing quite the stir among various pro gun groups. Yet, there is no push to contact state legislators, so what’s the deal with this bill?

I can’t imagine having to unholster, remove magazine & clear chamber just to get in my truck to go to a store, then have to get re-situated again when I arrive at my destination. This is BEYOND absurd.

Reminds me of having to pass through Maryland and need to pull over before the state line and secure everything, then 12 miles later get your crap back together. I don’t even want to think about how much of a hassle that would be for EDC

Quote Originally Posted by PickingPA View Post
    What is the status of this legislation? I get email notifications from NRA-ILA when there are potential bills that cause an alert to “write your lawmakers” to express support or opposition - many times at the state level.

This bill is a MAJOR deviation from the PA LTCF permissions, I would expect this should be causing quite the stir among various pro gun groups. Yet, there is no push to contact state legislators, so what’s the deal with this bill?

I can’t imagine having to unholster, remove magazine & clear chamber just to get in my truck to go to a store, then have to get re-situated again when I arrive at my destination. This is BEYOND absurd.

Reminds me of having to pass through Maryland and need to pull over before the state line and secure everything, then 12 miles later get your crap back together. I don’t even want to think about how much of a hassle that would be for EDC
    This bill is currently in the House Judiciary Committee http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...type=B&bn=2669

You could probably call your representative, or the Judiciary Committee Chair and inquire if the bill is scheduled for review anytime soon.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    People who are "excepted" from license requirement are cops and soldiers and Act 235 folks. Having an LTCF does NOT put you into the category of "people who don't need to have an LTCF".

The last line says that this new law does not create permission for anyone to carry a firearm if they would be barred from carrying under 6106. It does NOT create an exception for LTCF holder under the new law, which bars everyone from carrying loaded guns in cars, except for cops and soldiers and Act 235 armed guards.

It further bumps the grading of the offense of carrying a loaded long gun from a small summary offense to a serious misdemeanor. The ban on loaded long guns was a carryover from the Game Code, intended to deter poachers. This criminalizes that, allowing you to be sent to jail for an offense equivalent to not wearing enough orange while hunting.

These criminalize behavior where there's no identifiable victim, no harm done, no criminal intent.

Basically, 6106 outlaws carrying a handgun in a car without a license, unless you're "excepted". With an LTCF, you can carry a handgun in a car.

This new change outlaws carrying ANY loaded gun in a car, unless you're excepted. An LTCF is not an exception. Saying that this law shall not "be construed to permit
    persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106", is not at all the same as saying that if 6106 allows you to carry loaded in a car, then this new law will too. That's just not what it says. It doesn't affirmatively carve out an exception, it explicitly says it is NOT carving out an exception for LTCF holders.
    The House Bill 2669 wording is definitely structured in a confusing manner ... no doubt by design.

My interpretation of the new 6106.1 House Bill 2669 wording is that the definition of a "Firearm" changed from the definition in 6102 to the definition in 6105, and removed "other than a firearm as defined in section 6102" which allowed for the loaded carry of a typical handgun (as we think of a handgun used for personal protection) ! ! !

6102: "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

6105 (i): "Firearm." As used in this section only, the term "firearm" shall include any weapons which are designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.

The "excepted" wording "The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106." was not changed in the new wording for 6106.1.
    Last edited by Ret-Fed; October 10th, 2018 at 09:00 PM.

HB 2669 COMMENTS
    IN REGARDS TO BAN ON CARRIAGE OF LOADED FIREARMS IN VEHICLES

Hi Daryl,

I am contacting you today regarding a bill referred to the judiciary committee as of September 26, 2018. The bill number is 2669. This bill was created by Comitta, a house democrat from Chester. I will state this clearly right now- that Chester's problems are NOT my problem in rural Butler.

The Pennsylvania Constitution reads 'the right to keep and bear arms shall not be questioned'. This bill would effectively kill LCTF while inside a motor vehicle. Any layman can see that that is, indeed- questioning our right to keep and bear arms. The 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution indicates that the government cannot infringe on my right to keep and bear arms, which this legislation does. Please bear with me and let me explain further.

You probably already know this, but apparently a good portion of Harrisburg doesn't even know about the laws they probably voted for decades ago. In this Commonwealth it is against the law to carry a loaded firearm without a License to Carry Firearms, if we are strictly talking about civilians and not police or armed guards. It is against the law. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW. This means that if someone is caught doing it, and they are not exempted- then they must pay the price for it. I am told that your colleagues not in your political party, and many who are- don't understand this basic concept.

For a final time. It is currently, as of October 11th, 2018 AGAINST THE LAW to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle unless you are exempted through the law. I know that is so hard for nearly all democrats and some republicans to understand. If they don't 'get it', they need to return to the school from whence they came and re-educate themselves. This legislation would ban anyone not a security guard or police officer from carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle. This is a violation of the PA State Constitution, a violation of the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution, and a violation of my right to keep and bear arms. It can't be more concrete than that. Bear with me one final time while I explain the circumstances behind the introduction for this legislation.

Anyone can go through training and get a background check. I don't advocate training mandates on a protected right, so it is safe to assume that any person in this Commonwealth not prohibited from doing so can acquire a license to carry a firearm. Crimes by these law abiding individuals, even to the untrained are exceedingly rare. Unfortunately, one such permit holder decided that he was going to fire a round into a woman's car in a case of road rage. He broke the law. He broke the law not because he was carrying a loaded, concealed firearm- but because he chose to aim his weapon at a person. By pulling that trigger he put his name and responsibility on that bullet- because he could not call it back.

He murdered the woman.

Comitta disingenuously links 'gun violence' to my right to keep and bear arms. The man who (I believe plead guilty to 3rd degree murder) should be punished and sent to prison for his crimes, paying what restitution he has been ordered to pay. This is our way of law in a nation of laws in this Constitutional Republic (not a democracy).

THAT RESTITUTION DOES NOT INCLUDE STRIPPING ME OF MY RIGHTS.

You might as well strip drivers licenses from sober drivers for DUI's. This is ridiculous and I will not stand for it. Because this legislation is unlawful- in the event that it does pass I refuse to comply with it, even if that means challenging this unlawful bill.

I urge you to vote NO if this is brought to the house for a vote. I will be keeping my eye on this travesty for the time being, while also going out of my way in November to pull the lever for you at the polls.

(Delaware County)

There is over 1 million holders of licenses to carry firearms in this state. If this law passes, which I doubt it will considering the number of politicians that are license holders, don't blame the leftists, blame the people that hold such licenses.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    There is over 1 million holders of licenses to carry firearms in this state. If this law passes, which I doubt it will considering the number of politicians that are license holders, don't blame the leftists, blame the people that hold such licenses.
    Problem is how many of the 1.25 million license holders know of this bill???????

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Problem is how many of the 1.25 million license holders know of this bill???????
    Only as many as we inform. The news needs to get out on FB, pamphlet, word of mouth, etc.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    History of anti gun legislation has it that no serious action takes place until the proposal makes out of committee to move onto the next legislative step. Otherwise, there would be alarms going off every 4 days. Anti gun zealots introduce a number of anti -gun ownership bills every month, especially Kirkland who is a lapdog for the enemies of firearm ownership. Some months ago there were a number of cosponsors to outlaw many models of the semi auto rifles in Pa. That bill was shelved. Not to say that such proposal will not be taken up in the next legislative session in '19.

Be that it may, if 2/3 of the firearm owners in this state became one issue voters to protect the second amendment, we would not have to worry about shills like casey and anything close to majority of antigun politicians coming out our state.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast