Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Trigger pull weight and primer senitivity

I'm a fan of S&W revolvers and I have several in K, L and N frames. But I'm searching for the information that details what double action trigger pull weight is need to reliably fire what brand primers?

Yeah OK this could be in Ammo & Reloading, but I'm putting it here because I want it to be seen and responded to. Among my S&Ws are some older with hammer mounted firing pins some new with frame mounted firing pins. Nearly everyone knows that the "trigger pull weight" can be adjusted by loosening or tightening the main spring strain screw. Usually it is good practice to keep the strain screw in tight so it doesn't loosen unexpectedly during firing and cause light strikes and misfires. The right way is to shorten the screw which is something nearly every 'smith who does an action job does.

If you've got the skinny, I'd like to hear your info!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Trigger pull weight and primer senitivity

I'll measure my 325 tonite and let you know. All I shoot are cci primers though.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Lackawanna County)

I hate to say it but it will vary by gun. My shadow 2 and stock 2 are set up to be within ounces of each other. The shadow 2 sets off more primers than the stock 2 does. It’s not so much about trigger pull as it is about hammer force.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    I'll measure my 325 tonite and let you know. All I shoot are cci primers though.
    Good! That would be a fine start! I'm getting pretty peeved with Federal it seems they're doing such a huge business with gov't contracts that they're letting the civilian market slide. I use CCI in my semi-autos, but I 'd like to re-tune my revolvers for Winchester or Remington since they seem more readily available.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Beaver County)

I just bought 55k CCI primers last week. They are quite available for me. Federals are like finding unicorn shit.

(Jefferson County)

CCI tend to be the hardest. Federal tend to be soft.

Magnum harder than standard, but standard will typically fire-off moderate magnum loads just as nice as a magnum primer.

Personally, I only worry about the hammer spring rate on "luxury guns"(ie: Colt Python, etc) and physically heavy hammers. I've yet to have a S&W revolver have light strikes after "softening" the hammer spring.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

The strain screw should always be kept tightly wound in.
    Loosening the screw changes its shape and if its super loose, it will bind in the frame.

Grinding the stock spring is also a thing of the past, it just f's up the spring.
    The right way to do it is buy a Wolff replacement spring, either duty or competition.

And make sure your primer pockets are cleaned out, squared off at the bottom and primers are set to full depth.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Lackawanna County)

I won’t anger you guys with my pile of federal primers. Lol. But I am using Winchester more in my non match ammo

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    CCI tend to be the hardest. Federal tend to be soft.
    I have found recently, in the past 250k or so, CCI primers have become a bit softer than usual. At least they crush, mangle, and deform much easier in the Dillon 1050 then they ever have in years past.

(Beaver County)

Single action pull on my 325 is dead nuts repeatable at 48oz or 3lb. Fires CCI reliably for the last 900 or so rounds in IDPA competition.

Sorry I cannot measure double action. My RCBS trigger scale only goes to 4.5lb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast