Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Optics recommendations

I am getting a Sig M400 Elite next week and I am trying to figure out what kind of optics I want to put on it. I am not considering any long distance application obviously. I have a couple of 14” barrel for close application and I am also getting a couple of 10.5” in the near future. So what say you? The rifle has a 16” 1:7 rifling. Also I am not into range plinking at least it’s not what I think of when I am considering applications. It’s more of real life applications. Budget is up to $1000 but less is better. I
    Last edited by comsubin61; September 24th, 2018 at 12:09 AM.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Optics recommendations

I’m down to 2 optics types on 556 ARs. A simple red dot like Aimpoint on pistols and 1x-? variable on my rifles. I have Vortex 1-4 PSTs but since I’ve gotten them the scopes are increasing magnification up to 1-6 or even 1-8.

I really like the 1x setting for close range work and 4x when reaching out 75 yards and beyond. I also find I’m never in between magnification, either down at 1 or all the way to 4. I love the low power variable scopes on ARs.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
    I’m down to 2 optics types on 556 ARs. A simple red dot like Aimpoint on pistols and 1x-? variable on my rifles. I have Vortex 1-4 PSTs but since I’ve gotten them the scopes are increasing magnification up to 1-6 or even 1-8.

I really like the 1x setting for close range work and 4x when reaching out 75 yards and beyond. I also find I’m never in between magnification, either down at 1 or all the way to 4. I love the low power variable scopes on ARs.
    What manufacturers do you prefer?
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Anything that is quality.

Sorry I thought you meant me.

(Allegheny County)

Aimpoint PRO. 450.00

(Somerset County)

Aimpoint Pro as mentioned above would be my choice for a red dot

For a LPVO I would look hard at the Stiener P4Xi. Best value it there for around $500. If you want to go to the top of your budget a used vortex Razer 1x6 can be had for 1k and they are incredible.

The considerations to make would be application and weight. A scope is going to add weight and if you are only using at close range a red dot may make more sense. Want to reach out a little the lpvo makes sense. If it is a little of both a high quality lpvo is almost as good as a red dot up close and better at long range. Red dots lose points for long range shooting

I keep red dots on ar pistols and home defense ar's. Lpvo on everything else

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Vortex for me. They strike a nice balance between quality and cost.

(Montgomery County)

I am looking to fill the gap between the shorter barrel ar pistol and the long range rifles. I guess in around the 300 yarrds. However I am looking to keep things light. I am building a real life application stock for 4 people. I will get a couple 10/11 inches barrel ar pistols next month, I have a couple 14 inches already set up and a 16 inches, I am getting another 16 inches Friday. I have a couple 22 and 24 inches for longer range, assuming I can see the target and then hit it. Everything is 5.56 except the long barrels that are 308. I want to keep everything the same caliber as much as possible to make things easy. I also have 4 glocks 23’s and 4 glock 27’s for handguns needs. This are the weapons that we would use in case of major emergency. I have other stuff that I keep in a different safe for everyday use/needs. Everything is set up as light as it can be so that we can carry multiple weapons each. Of course we also have a couple of 870’s . I know that’s a lot of stuff but I am hoping that we can use some sort of transportation and if not then we’ll figure out. I rather have too much then not enough.

(Somerset County)

I think a 1x4/6 would be the best choice then. They are perfect for "intermediate" distances and still effective up close.

As I said above for lpvo
    Steiner P4xi- prob best value it there but it's only 4x

Vortex Razor 1x6- would have to get a used one to stay at 1k or less but these are really good albeit a little heavy

Burris XTR 1-5- solid choice as well

Vortex Ranger 1-4. Midway exclusive only $369.99 it is same exact scope as their old PST 1-4. The PST 2 1-6 is good too but higher priced

Primary arms raptor 1-6 FFP- has awesome reticle and FFP makes up close like a red dot but reticle can be used at any mag

Another consideration if you want magnification but want to keep weight down would be a fixed power 3x-5x. They are optional for 50-300 imo but can be used up close well if you practice. Google bindon aiming concept. It is a little bit of a compromise, but everything is. Primary arms in the low end or catch an Acog on sale

(Centre County)

Aimpoint PRO (or ACO if you don’t need night vision). 30mm feels huge to me compared to a AP T1/T2; meaning, I like the larger field of view. I like red dots for 100 yards and in since my eyes are getting bad.

If your considering a LPVO, I’ll recommend the Steiner P4XI. Very good glass, a simple reticle, and day light bright dot. I have two; one on a gamer gun that gets beat around with no issues, and a second I’m sighting in this weekend. Get the 5202 version for the free switchview lever.

If you choose to stretch your budget to $1K, Vortex Razor Gen II is a no brainer. If weight is an issue, look for the (newer) E version. Very tough optic with excellent glass and daylight bright.
    Last edited by FLICK; October 4th, 2018 at 10:08 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.