Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Anyone SBR an HK USC into a UMP?

Can you tell me your experiences and where you had it done?

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: Anyone SBR an HK USC into a UMP?

I don't know if this is helpful?

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee CO View Post
    Can you tell me your experiences and where you had it done?
    I don't have a USC, but I had considered one until I realized I didn't enjoy shooting the UMP very much. I had researched SBRing one a lot in the process though.

I guess the question is how faithful you want to make it? On the easy end, you should be able to do yourself. The main thing you'd be doing is opening up the magwell to accept the double stack UMP mag, and slightly enlargening the diameter of the hooks on the lower (there's guides on YouTube showing exactly how to do this with merely a Dremel and a drill). Then, you would change out the barrel (which seems way easier than an MP5, AKA actually DIY friendly). Installing a stock block will then allow you to install a folding stock. I believe most of the USC trigger parts will swap into a UMP (there is some debate on whether or not you should do this, but I think the general consensus is that this is a safer way to go).

That'll look the part of a UMP, but it won't be quite faithful. The stock block adds a little bit more length to the gun. Most people won't notice it, but again, the meticulous guys will. The method to get as close to a true UMP possible is a rear receiver fuse. Basically, they'll chop off the rear part of your USC receiver, chop the rear chunk off of a UMP receiver, and plastic weld them together. This is outside the purview of most DIYers. If you go on HK Pro, I think you'll find the general consensus is that Tommy Bostic is the guy to go to for a UMP conversion (I think he'll do the previous method too, if you don't want to go through as much modification).

The re-release of the USC might have breathed more life into UMP conversions, but it’s still a small arena. And Tommy Bostic is the King of that arena.

Considered a UMP conversion but generally happy with USC, especially after I put an ACR buttstock on it.

(Pike County)

Fairly simple to convert one if you are so inclined. Lots of info on HKpro.com. The only road block you will have is finding a stock block from HDPS http://www.hdps.org/htm/5-2-1.htm. Other than that, you need a UMP lower and stock. There is some cutting and drilling involved to get everything to fit together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Golf View Post
    The re-release of the USC might have breathed more life into UMP conversions, but it’s still a small arena. And Tommy Bostic is the King of that arena.
    This