Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Handgun layaway and PICS check question

Going through some paperwork that came with a handgun I purchased used, there was the carbon copy from the PICS check when the original owner bought the gun new.

Looking at it, the transaction date in D.48 was several months earlier than the line you sign to acknowledge receiving the gun, C.35.

I assume this means when you put a gun on layaway that becomes the transaction date in D.48, they run a PICS check at that time, and when you satisfy the note and pick the gun up that's the date that goes in C.35. Is that correct, and if it is, what would happen if you didn't pay the note within 60/90/120/however many days? Does the FFL just cancel the transaction and transfer it back into his book, or would you have to come in to sign it over since according to PICS the gun was transferred to you?

Thanks for any answers, this is nothing I ever really thought about until I happened across this PICS form.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Handgun layaway and PICS check question

The PICS check is not performed until you are taking the firearm home (taking physical possession).

So if it's a layaway (which is a delayed payment), the layaway is first satisfied (paid in full) and then the 4473 (and SP4-113 if its a handgun) form(s) is/are completed, the info transmitted to PICS, and the approval number issued. Then you leave the dealer with with your firearm.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info. So I guess the answer is the FFL wrote the wrong transaction date, or the purchaser wire the wrong date in the swearing block and the acknowledgement block (which would suggest the former).

(Clearfield County)

In theory he may have done the background check on the date of purchase but for whatever reason not actually picked it up until later.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Thanks for the info. So I guess the answer is the FFL wrote the wrong transaction date, or the purchaser wire the wrong date in the swearing block and the acknowledgement block (which would suggest the former).
    The transaction was initiated when the person put the pistol on layaway and was completed when paid off and picked up several months later. The paperwork just reflects this. The pistol stays in the FFL's book until it is paid for, then it comes off when the pick up occurs and the PIC check is done. The buyer has no claim until the gun is paid for and the transaction is pending. If not paid per agreement, the transaction is not completed and how the funds paid so far are handled depends on the term of the original agreement.
    Last edited by gghbi; September 23rd, 2018 at 09:39 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est