Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: GOA/FOAC NEED EVERYONE TO CALL PA REPS NOW!! VOTE NO GUN CONFISCATION LAWS

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Fakebook has a feature where it shows that you are one of their constituents when posting to your reps.
    I was able to send Darryl Metcalfe a PM----and emailed others too. I was told

Here's the text of HB2060---there is due process. What am I missing other than the stupidity/illegal reason giving to police?

http://www.legis.state.pa.us//cfdocs...cosponId=24864

Specifically, this legislation will amend Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) and Title 23 (Domestic Relations) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes.

This targeted amendment is designed to limit the third-party safekeeping options available to convicted domestic abusers. Under this legislation an individual found guilty and sentenced before a judge would be required to relinquish any and all firearms in their possession narrowing the window of time in which convicted abusers would have to relinquish their weapons from 60 days to 48 hours for an individual convicted of the misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. The defendant would be prohibited from turning over their weapons to a family member or friend and instead would be required to relinquish them to law enforcement, an authorized gun dealer or an attorney.

The intent of this change in law is to enhance safety for victims of domestic violence and their children as well as law enforcement and the greater community during the most dangerous time—when a victim seeks help. This legislation is especially timely due to the scourge of shootings in our country and their links to domestic violence.

Making this change is a priority for the PA Coalition Against Domestic Violence. The organization has discussed the provisions in this proposed legislation with various stakeholders including Sheriffs, District Attorneys, Chiefs of Police, and the Pennsylvania State Police.

This legislation will be similar to the current Senate Bill 501 (Killion).
    Last edited by mikelets456; September 24th, 2018 at 10:28 AM.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Monroe County)

Default Re: GOA/FOAC NEED EVERYONE TO CALL PA REPS NOW!! VOTE NO GUN CONFISCATION LAWS

Don't forget about opposing HB2227 the Red Flag bill. It's just as dangerous as HB2060.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    I was able to send Darryl Metcalfe a PM----and emailed others too. I was told

Here's the text of HB2060---there is due process. What am I missing other than the stupidity/illegal reason giving to police?

http://www.legis.state.pa.us//cfdocs...cosponId=24864

Specifically, this legislation will amend Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) and Title 23 (Domestic Relations) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes.

This targeted amendment is designed to limit the third-party safekeeping options available to convicted domestic abusers. Under this legislation an individual found guilty and sentenced before a judge would be required to relinquish any and all firearms in their possession narrowing the window of time in which convicted abusers would have to relinquish their weapons from 60 days to 48 hours for an individual convicted of the misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. The defendant would be prohibited from turning over their weapons to a family member or friend and instead would be required to relinquish them to law enforcement, an authorized gun dealer or an attorney.

The intent of this change in law is to enhance safety for victims of domestic violence and their children as well as law enforcement and the greater community during the most dangerous time—when a victim seeks help. This legislation is especially timely due to the scourge of shootings in our country and their links to domestic violence.

Making this change is a priority for the PA Coalition Against Domestic Violence. The organization has discussed the provisions in this proposed legislation with various stakeholders including Sheriffs, District Attorneys, Chiefs of Police, and the Pennsylvania State Police.

This legislation will be similar to the current Senate Bill 501 (Killion).
    Protection From Abuse orders are not convictions.
    HB2060 mandates the surrender of your firearms in the event of a Protection From Abuse order, no domestic violence conviction required.
    Generally speaking the courts hand out Protection From Abuse orders very easily with little to no proof, with the idea of sorting it all out later.
    HB2060 treats the Protection From Abuse order as if it is a conviction of domestic violence, and presumes the subject is guilty leaving them to fight for their innocence.
    In short, it is a restriction of your civil right to own a firearm based on nothing more than an accusation.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Protection From Abuse orders are not convictions.
    HB2060 mandates the surrender of your firearms in the event of a Protection From Abuse order, no domestic violence conviction required.
    Generally speaking the courts hand out Protection From Abuse orders very easily with little to no proof, with the idea of sorting it all out later.
    HB2060 treats the Protection From Abuse order as if it is a conviction of domestic violence, and presumes the subject is guilty leaving them to fight for their innocence.
    In short, it is a restriction of your civil right to own a firearm based on nothing more than an accusation.
    Is this anything new? I know a guy who went through that and when the PFA was ultimately denied he had to go get his guns back. And this was ummmm 8 years ago?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lehigh County)

Is this anything new? I know a guy who went through that and when the PFA was ultimately denied he had to go get his guns back. And this was ummmm 8 years ago?
    This new bill is more restrictive on who can hold the guns, no more third parties (friends) only FFL or PD. Also has abandonment provisions that I do not think are in the old law. The old law has issues, but this makes things worse.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

So is there an LEO exception to these new bills or can we "accuse" LEO of being unsafe with weapons and have them taken away?

(Montgomery County)

The way I have always understood the PFA process, the accuser petitions the court for a PFA and it is generally granted immediately with no proof of accusations.
    Then about 2 weeks later the accuser and the accused go to court to see if the PFA is justified and if it should remain in effect.
    If the accuser fails to show up, or if there is no proof, then the PFA is nullified.
    This bill would make the surrender of your firearms mandatory within 48 hours, long before the PFA process has a chance to be verified in court.
    So the surrender of your firearms will be mandatory based on nothing more than unproven accusations.
    This is my understanding of the situation.
    I am not a lawyer.
    Last edited by Berncly; September 24th, 2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: I am not a lawyer.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Bucks County)

I heard back from Daryl Metcalfe....says "I agree and I'm with you". CVontact ALL Reps whether in your district or not.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Monroe County)

HB2060 In caucus. Call NOW, they are coming out at 3:30 to vote. 45 Minutes to light up those phones and tell them to vote NO.

Done, Bump... Step up folks email - call your Reps
    ΑΣΦ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast