Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Do people have issues selling in classifieds to people under 21?

I've been a lurker on here for a while and I couldn't find any information on this, so I thought I should be safe asking first.

I'm a young guy (not yet 21, but over 18), and I thought I'd check out some of the classifieds to see what people are selling. I've been skeptical to send anyone a message yet because I didn't know if there's any rule or taboo against meeting up for a private sale with someone as a rather young person, but should I wait a couple years instead until I'm 21? Or should I be okay to meet up with someone before then?

Any advice or opinions are appreciated

Edit: My bad on not making this clear, but yeah, I was looking at long guns. I'm definitely aware of needing to be 21 for a handgun.
    Last edited by MattTheCat114; September 17th, 2018 at 08:13 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: Do people have issues selling in classifieds to people under 21?

To the best of my knowledge long guns can legally be purchased by any non prohibited person age 18 or older, so I would not have a problem. Pistols, stripped lowers, and other items require the purchaser to be 21 or older. A common check for non prohibited is to have a PA LTCF which is only available to the 21 and over crowd, so a FFL transfer at buyer's expense or a signed bill of sale indicating this may be required by some folks.
    Last edited by gghbi; September 16th, 2018 at 10:06 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Do people have issues selling in classifieds to people under 21?

Handguns have to go thru an FFL, so no, I wouldnt
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    To the best of my knowledge long guns can legally be purchased by any non prohibited person age 18 or older, so I would not have a problem. Pistols, stripped lowers, and other items require the purchaser to be 21 or older. A common check for non prohibited is to have a PA LTCF which is only available to the 21 and over crowd, so a FFL transfer at buyer's expense or a signed bill of sale indicating this may be required by some folks.
    ^^^^^^^^^ I'm with this. Any seller should be able to insure that the buyer is not a prohibited person but the age is not an issue for a long gun.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Monroe County)

As a member on here and as an FFL, I follow the law not the hype. As long as your not trying to break the forum rules and any laws we are good to go.

My only issue is the only young guy, less then 10 posts, no rep, no feedback "sale" renigged on the deal. I told him I would take it, he said ok , we agreed on the meet, he no showed, I PM'ed him and he sold it to someone else hours earlier-AFTER our deal.

That earned him lots of red chicklets, and hella neg feedback. Don't be that guy or your first "deal" will be your only.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lackawanna County)

Cool Re: Do people have issues selling in classifieds to people under 21?

You are ok to buy a rifle or a ar lower with a buttstock attached. Not sure if you can legally build a 80% handgun since 18 but that would be more to do with pa law not federal.

As long as you are honest and follow through with a deal then you will be gtg since there is a feedback section.

Fyi: if you are in Harrisburg then it dauphin county not Cumberland as your profile states

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. Since I'm not 21 I can't get a LTCF yet, so it might seem a tad suspicious saying I can't get one yet.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by titleiiredneck View Post
    Fyi: if you are in Harrisburg then it dauphin county not Cumberland as your profile states
    Good eye, I live just outside of Harrisburg in Cumberland. Thought it'd be easier for people to recognize the area I'm from by pointing out the closest "city," but I can make sure to change it if necessary.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^ I'm with this. Any seller should be able to insure that the buyer is not a prohibited person but the age is not an issue for a long gun.
    Really? That's not how I see it.
    It's the buyer that needs to insure that they are not prohibited - it's not MY job as a seller.

It may be wise to do the FFL thing, as that's the only way to completely insure that the buyer is good to go, but it is absolutely not required of the buyer to be a detective.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Really? That's not how I see it.
    It's the buyer that needs to insure that they are not prohibited - it's not MY job as a seller.

It may be wise to do the FFL thing, as that's the only way to completely insure that the buyer is good to go, but it is absolutely not required of the buyer to be a detective.
    In today's environment we are held accountable for other people's actions, if I couldn't determine for sure that one is not prohibited I'll keep my guns to myself.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast