Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Question Rock Island 1911Tac II

Does anyone own this gun or any of the Rock Island 1911s? I've been wanting to get a .45 1911 for awhile now and I had my eyes and heart set on the Colt Government Competition model. Unfortunately the price is too rich for my wallet for the Colt but I found the RI has the same features and quite a bit less of a price. I found that Trop has the RI on their online store for about $585, which is lower than I've found elsewhere locally. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I was thinking that if and when (most likely when since my wife has somewhat approved this purchase for my birthday) I could get the same double spring from the Colt and put it in the RI, that is if it is possible to make that swap.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Blair County)

Default Re: Rock Island 1911Tac II

I have it in 10mm. It was a turd when i got it, would drop mags while firing, never load the last round. Slide hang open while firing. Did all i could, sent it back. I think they replaced everything but the frame or made me a new gun with the same #s or something but definitely a lot of new parts including slide and barrel and spring retainer at least. had about 1000 trouble free rounds of super hot 10mm since then and going strong. Went from my least favorite gun ever to one of my favorites. Good customer service, fast turnaround, had my gun back in under 10 days. For the price point it has a lot of good features, great grips, decent sights, ambi safety, accurate as hell at 25 yards.

RIA are one of the better “budget” 1911 manufactures out there. While I do not own one I would have no reservations buying one if I felt the urge to. They produce and sell more 1911’s then any other manufacturer currently out there.

While I’m sure things like the above story do happen it’s not the norm for them.

(Wyoming County)

I don't have near the round count that "Edg" has, maybe only around ~100ish.

I have had a few failure to fire - which I attribute to light primer strikes on my reloads. No problems with factory ammo yet but I shoot mainly reloads using Winchester primers which I'm not all that familiar with since all of my other calibers are using CCI primers. Perhaps Winchester are a little harder?

Unfortunately for me I bought the full rail 10mm and haven't yet found a retention holster(owb) that I can use for carry. I would like to try it come fall/winter.

The finish on mine wasn't spectacular but I didn't care.

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Centre County)

I've had a RIA .45 for about 10 years now and I have never had any problems with it. I've had people with other brands hold mine and shake it and said it is tighter than their higher cost .45's (Kimber, Para Ordnance, S&W, others). You won't lose any money when getting a RIA, they are pretty highly thought of and they have great customer service.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Somerset County)

RIA is one of the better value 1911s it there. Also check out pricing at Sarco they always seem to have really good pricing on them

(Allegheny County)

I wouldn't rule out watching for a used one. They are common enough that you do see them for sale fairly often.

I've never really heard anything bad about them. "Great value" seems to be the consensus.

Mine is pretty, but not practical. I considered carrying it, but you've met me - it's almost as tall as I am. Looks goofy on my side.
    I considered looking for a compact model, but ultimately, I will likely always carry a DAO handgun.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

My reloading emploee has two of them. Both double stack 9mm. Both run awesome. Use it in Steel Challenge and USPSC almost weekly. Well over 5k rounds just this year.

He did upgrade the barrel for shooting lead. One of the guns barrel had an oversize bore for lead. Shot jacketed just fine though.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks everyone. I will say for the longest time I fell into the trap that "if it isn't expensive then it isn't worth much." Between you all and the reviews I've read online, I can feel comfortable buying an RIA firearm. I went to Trop today to shoot a full size 1911, as I've never shot full size before. I had a Colt Commander that I picked up for $350 around 2006. I had taken it to the range once before I "lost" it.(long story). I enjoyed my time at the range with a Springfield 1911 TRP and I'm excited for the day I can get my RIA.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Bucks County)

Save your pennies and buy the Colt. I see the Philippine made RIA guns in the shop from time to time.
    They are so poorly made, I decline ( with rare exception) to repair them.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast