Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Redding Auction???

Where do they get sooo many guns each month? I'm an auction junkie and hit a LOT of them. Prices aren't all that great in fact people get ate up with the stupid there BUT the quantity really has me baffled. They're obviously not pulling out of local stock only, so where are they coming from???? I was told that buyers from some large stores buy there... no idea if it's true or not.

Default Re: Redding Auction???

Got a link for the preview?

Bow2no1 - www.auctionzip.com

I've wondered the same thing about Reddings. I grew up in the Gettysburg area but they weren't always known for the size of the gun auctions they have these days. They've also expanded into the Shippensburg/Chambersburg area where they have frequent auctions. I usually avoid the really big ones and prefer the smaller estate sales.

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Bow2no1 - www.auctionzip.com

I've wondered the same thing about Reddings. I grew up in the Gettysburg area but they weren't always known for the size of the gun auctions they have these days. They've also expanded into the Shippensburg/Chambersburg area where they have frequent auctions. I usually avoid the really big ones and prefer the smaller estate sales.
    Truer words never spoken. The Redding hardware store is even worse on prices.... interesting with great inventory but grossly over priced IMO.

(York County)

Well the redding hardware store is not related to redding auction. Their estates are pulled from several states not just here in Pa. the quality of stuff is pretty good but some stuff is junk so you must be careful. I have walked away with lots of stuff for pennies on the dollar but have also paid retail for stuff that is rare and hard to find. There are lots of people who don’t know a lot about military stuff that attend the auctions and think bidders pay a lot of money but to those who know what they are bidding on they get some good deals. With any auction it’s hit or miss

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    Well the redding hardware store is not related to redding auction. Their estates are pulled from several states not just here in Pa. the quality of stuff is pretty good but some stuff is junk so you must be careful. I have walked away with lots of stuff for pennies on the dollar but have also paid retail for stuff that is rare and hard to find. There are lots of people who don’t know a lot about military stuff that attend the auctions and think bidders pay a lot of money but to those who know what they are bidding on they get some good deals. With any auction it’s hit or miss
    The do offsite auctions as well, I've done better offsite. Crowd size is far less than at the house.
    Little doubt in my mind the hardware store has a blood lineage to the auction. They may be separate businesses but I imagine there is a link between them.

(York County)

You imagine incorrectly. The hardware is not related to the auction house at all. However, Gettysburg trading post is run by blood relatives of the auction house. Separate business though.

The stuff redding is getting in varies in quality. Lately I have seen some great photos, incorrect descriptions and identifications of items, and over all great presentation of items for sale. When you get there to inspect them you realize that most of the gems on the picture groupings are really not good at all. The next big auction is part of the sarco employee estate that was started a few months back. Looks like good stuff, but lots of it had been ducked with and refinished, renumbered, wasn’t correct, etc. still, that didn’t stop several big gunbroker sellers from buying stuff like commonwealth arsenal. He peddles junk on gunbroker he gets from redding with fluffed up descriptions and outright fraudulent claims. If you have a good eye and are educated about what is there you can get some good stuff. You just have to sort through the garbage to find it

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    You imagine incorrectly. The hardware is not related to the auction house at all. However, Gettysburg trading post is run by blood relatives of the auction house. Separate business though.

The stuff redding is getting in varies in quality. Lately I have seen some great photos, incorrect descriptions and identifications of items, and over all great presentation of items for sale. When you get there to inspect them you realize that most of the gems on the picture groupings are really not good at all. The next big auction is part of the sarco employee estate that was started a few months back. Looks like good stuff, but lots of it had been ducked with and refinished, renumbered, wasn’t correct, etc. still, that didn’t stop several big gunbroker sellers from buying stuff like commonwealth arsenal. He peddles junk on gunbroker he gets from redding with fluffed up descriptions and outright fraudulent claims. If you have a good eye and are educated about what is there you can get some good stuff. You just have to sort through the garbage to find it
    Perhaps, I'm sure I don't have the inside knowledge you do. I still choose to believe there is a link.
    The onsite if I choose to go I really like the smalls, always something there to flip or keep for self. Ammo, no matter how much you have it's never enough.