Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger Made It Right!

Well...here's an update and I'll keep you all in the loop as this progresses.

I've had the GP100 to the range once, and after cleaning, I noticed something funny in the cylinder's notches. It appeared to be some dirt, etc. Tonight, I looked at it again and tried to clean the notches with some nifty new q-tip type cleaning swaps I got at Oaks. It's rust. I figure that this may be "normal" for gun that's been shot...but I've only put 50 rounds through it. Worse, the finish is almost through around the release button.

I've sent the pic posted here to the same person at Ruger who helped me before....but I'm absolutely disappointed in this revolver. I find it hard to believe that a blued Ruger can't take 50 rounds without having a problem like this with the finish. A friend suggests trading it in...but I'm not anxious to take a bath trading it in...and I like it except for the finish issue. Maybe I'm expecting too much?IMG_5868.jpg

What's your storage situation like, are you controlling the humidity?

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPA View Post
    . . . Maybe I'm expecting too much?
    IMO, yes.

My gosh, what does the underside of your vehicle(s) look like? How can you sleep?

Seriously, get on Amazon and buy a can of Corrosion-X. NOT Corrosion-X for Guns; plain Corrosion-X. The owner of the company told me it's the same stuff, just thicker in viscosity and much more expensive. Use it exclusively, as if it was CLP, and the oxygen blocking molecules will stop the trace rust problem you have.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

That's a good question, and I don't have a real answer.

My guns have been in a safe, in our basement (home office) for over a decade. I've never seen a rust problem on any of them. (I had a corrosion problem on a Smith 637 that was carried a lot...) We have a few other blued guns or rifles without an issue stored in the same place. I checked them again tonight as I had a similar thought.

I have a hygrometer that I can place in the safe to check the humidity...and we have had lots of rain this year. If there's an issue with humidity, I can correct that.

I'd still think that it shouldn't be rusting in a month. In fact, when I first noticed the spots in the notches, it had only been back from Ruger a day or two. Looking at it again tonight...the cylinder flutes have a similar appearance as does the trigger guard.
    Last edited by MattMPA; October 9th, 2018 at 11:09 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    IMO, yes.

My gosh, what does the underside of your vehicle(s) look like? How can you sleep?

Seriously, get on Amazon and buy a can of Corrosion-X. NOT Corrosion-X for Guns; plain Corrosion-X. The owner of the company told me it's the same stuff, just thicker in viscosity and much more expensive. Use it exclusively, as if it was CLP, and the oxygen blocking molecules will stop the trace rust problem you have.

Noah
    Thanks for the tip, Noah. I'll look into that.

And my OCD isn't just gun related....my cars are pretty clean underneath too. Too many years as a restorer makes habits that are hard to break. (Having a lift makes it easier to satisfy the OCD)

I haven't had a blued revolver before, (and my other blued guns aren't doing this)..is it normal to get this light rusting so quickly? I've only ever had one other blued gun develop minor rust issues and it was from carrying and sweating on it. I get that...this has only been to the range and back.

(Elk County)

Think about the others who have handled it before you bought it, and while it was at Ruger. I once owned a 9mm semiauto that had fingerprint sized patches of recurring rust on the slide until I wiped it down ONCE with Corrosion-X. It never rusted again in 16 years.

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Think about the others who have handled it before you bought it, and while it was at Ruger. I once owned a 9mm semiauto that had fingerprint sized patches of recurring rust on the slide until I wiped it down ONCE with Corrosion-X. It never rusted again in 16 years.

Noah
    Definitely going to pick up a can of the stuff for rifles and pistols I shoot very little.

(Bucks County)

Thanks Noah...I'm going to look into that stuff...sounds like a great thing. How much do you apply?

This gun was refinished a month ago by Ruger.

I sent the customer support people the same picture I posted here. They quickly got in touch with me and want it back...so it'll be on it's way tomorrow.
    Last edited by MattMPA; October 10th, 2018 at 08:39 PM.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPA View Post
    Thanks Noah...I'm going to look into that stuff...sounds like a great thing. How much do you apply?

This gun was refinished a month ago by Ruger.

I sent the customer support people the same picture I posted here. They quickly got in touch with me and want it back...so it'll be on it's way tomorrow.
    Use as directed.

Recently reblued? That's likely the cause of the rust problem. Given that Ruger is so quick to take it back, they know why it rusted in the nooks and crannies and will "fix" the problem, chemical in nature.

Best regards,

Noah

(Bucks County)

A bit of an update.

Ruger has had the GP100 about 24-48 hours and I've received word that it's on the way back. The customer service person I've been dealing with only knows that the paperwork associated with the gun says it's be "refinished".

I mentioned my concern that we had a problem the last time it was refinished, and the very fast turnaround time gives me concern. Her response was basically, that if I wasn't happy...they'll get it back in. I would frankly be more confident in a more detailed answer about what was done. I guess I'll know in a couple days.

I should add that I have no idea how long it takes for Ruger to blue a firearm...so maybe I'm just simply uninformed enough to have an opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast