Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default worth rebuilding?

Hey all,

New to site and spent about three hours last night reading through a bunch of the threads. I look forward to spending more time here.

Anyway, I sort of inherited a few shot guns from my father in-law. A couple side by sides and a couple of pump actions. The problem is they werent stored too well and the environment has gotten to them. I was looking for a shotgun for HD and was really considering the Mossberg 500 and then i remembered these shotguns I already have. The two pump actions are a remington wingmaster 870 20 gauge and a mossberg 500a 12 gauge. Problem is they both have pretty rusty barrels. I dont know how old these are and if they would be worth rebuilding. i would think new barrels wouldn'tjavascript:void(0) be too much but I definitely would like a good going over.

Now, as I dont know much about shotguns, i figured Id post here for some opinions. Here is a picture of the two. The one on top is the mossy and the bottom is the remy. Not the best photos though.

(Blair County)

Default Re: worth rebuilding?

Rusty inside or outside or both?
    Steve

(Jefferson County)

Shotty barrels are cheaper than a new entire gun.

And if you're gonna use it for HD purposes, you can hone the barrel out or use a metal polish compound and clean up and rusty and must of the putting.

Exterior can be easily reblued or even spray painted.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

as long as the trigger group and the action are good, you can just get a new barrel. it also gives you the chance to shorten the barrel without any gunsmithing. what iv known about remingtons is that they are great guns that last pretty much forever, and i see no reason not to clean it up, or at least try
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    Rusty inside or outside or both?
    Steve
    Looks like outside mostly. The mossberg is the worst of the two. the only rust I see inside is at the choke and only a very little bit. Surface rust.

(Monroe County)

well, i would like to get the mossberg done first as it is a 12 gauge. The barrel doesnt look as bad as I thought though. The inside has no rust. But i would like to get an 181/2 inch barrel anyway for it.

Is there anyway to tell how old this gun is? I cant find a serial number on it if that's how to tell. It only says Mossberg made in USA 500A 12 GA on it.

(Centre County)

Check the left side down by the trigger. If not there check underneath. The serial number won't (or shouldn't) be on the barrel as that is easily changed. The receiver is considered the "gun" and it has to be marked there. Unless it was made a long time ago there will be a s/n somewhere. Barrels for both can be found relatively easily.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Check the left side down by the trigger. If not there check underneath. The serial number won't (or shouldn't) be on the barrel as that is easily changed. The receiver is considered the "gun" and it has to be marked there. Unless it was made a long time ago there will be a s/n somewhere. Barrels for both can be found relatively easily.
    Must be old cause I cannot find it anywhere. Would it be inside the receiver on the plate at all?

Anyway, I was looking at the Mossberg Security 18 1/2 inch barrel. $81.58 on their website.

(Jefferson County)

Any gun made after 1968 will have a serial number, before that it was an option. If it doesn't, its possible it was made before '68.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Pike County)

Hit a few shows, or check on auctionarms.com or gunbroker.com, Mossy barrels are easy to find.
    I love my Mossys.
    BTW, welcome to the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast