Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default New Vortex coming. Will it be centered?

Looking for anyone who has purchased a new Vortex scope and checked to see if it was reticle-centered. Hoping to avoid the end-to-end rotation of turrets if I can, if the factory reliably ships the product centered. Thanks in advance.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New Vortex coming. Will it be centered?

Well, I'm responding to my own post, because I have asked the question online and have a couple of interesting "answers".

Placing the objective on a mirror (or more likely a mirror to the objective) and the crosshair will look as one if centered, and will have a second image of not centered.

Another trick is to have the scope mounted loose enough that it can be rotated. Set crosshairs on a target, rotate the scope and if centered, the crosshairs will remain on the target. If not centered, crosshairs will move off.

(Centre County)

I bought a new Vortex Viper PST Gen II and mounted it to my Ruger Precision Rifle. When I put my laser boresighter (SiteLite SL-500) on it, the cross hairs were within 1 click at 100 yds vertical, dead on horizontal.

The mirror thing and the rotating procedure sound like a good starting point when mounting a new to you scope, be it NIB or used.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Counting the clicks up/down and going to the middle seems easier to me.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Bucks County)

Came with turrets set on zeroes. Tried the mirror trick. One image. If I moved my head around a little I can induce a slight ghost of a second reticle image. I'm impressed with the mirror trick. Tried it on another scope already dialed in on its rifle, and had two images.

Mounted using zero correctors in Burris Zees, it appears to agree with the bore sighting of my T/C Compass 6.5 Creedmoor. Can't wait to get it on the range.