Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Want a LTCF - Where to Start

Hey Guys-

My daughter lives in Lawrence County and would like to get her carry license.
    I live in IN and I'm just gathering info for her.

Questions -
    1. Does she fill out this application and take it to the Lawrence County Sheriffs office or to her local city Police Department she lives in?

2. Are they particular with the application as in -
    - do they need to witness her signing and dating it?
    - does it need to be prefilled out online or can it be hand filled out?

3. Online I read about bringing a "Local Police Check Card" signed by the police chief?

4. Doesn't she need to get fingerprinted also? Does this happen when she turns in the application or maybe a separate place and appointment?

5. What about a picture? Does she bring in passport pictures? Does the PA license even have a picture?

6. Money - I've read $20 - $25 - or $46. Are there different licenses? Why the price differences?

7. Is the PA license a "CARD" type or a laminated paper of sorts?

Some kinda silly questions but here in Indiana, laws and procedures are constantly changing so I'm trying to get the gist of whats correct for PA.

Also are there any ranges or training places to be recommended in Lawrence County and/or beyond?
    Thanks-

(Berks County)

Default Re: Want a LTCF - Where to Start

The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDuck View Post
    Hey Guys-

Questions -
    1. Does she fill out this application and take it to the Lawrence County Sheriffs office or to her local city Police Department she lives in?
    1. Local police have nothing to do with any of it - LTCF (License to Carry Firearms) is handled by the sheriff's department in the county you live in.

2. Are they particular with the application as in -
    - do they need to witness her signing and dating it?
    - does it need to be prefilled out online or can it be hand filled out?
    2. I doubt it matters, but each county can have their own "rules" even though it's required by law to be standard across the state.

3. Online I read about bringing a "Local Police Check Card" signed by the police chief?
    3. Nope.

4. Doesn't she need to get fingerprinted also? Does this happen when she turns in the application or maybe a separate place and appointment?
    4. Nope. No fingerprint involved whatsoever.

5. What about a picture? Does she bring in passport pictures? Does the PA license even have a picture?
    5. Check with the sheriff's department. They should take the photo while you are there, but I can't say 100%.
    (mine have always had my photo)

6. Money - I've read $20 - $25 - or $46. Are there different licenses? Why the price differences?
    6. Price is supposed to be the same across the state. Never heard of a $46 fee.

7. Is the PA license a "CARD" type or a laminated paper of sorts?
    7. Years ago mine were laminated paper and barely fit in a wallet. Now they are a card like a driver's license. (at least here in Allegheny county anyway)

Some kinda silly questions but here in Indiana, laws and procedures are constantly changing so I'm trying to get the gist of whats correct for PA.

Also are there any ranges or training places to be recommended in Lawrence County and/or beyond?
    Thanks-
    My replies in green. (above)

Welcome to the forum!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    My replies in green. (above)

Welcome to the forum!
    I am not sure if your answer to 3 is the same for each county. In Montgomery county, I needed a police check card from local police (state police for my town) for my 1st LTCF even though I had a valid Bucks county LTCF. It was not needed for subsequent renewals though.

Eta: just read the link and it doesn't appear Lawrence county requires the police check card.
    Last edited by DK23; September 7th, 2018 at 10:09 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    I am not sure if your answer to 3 is the same for each county. In Montgomery county, I needed a police check card from local police (state police for my town) for my 1st LTCF even though I had a valid Bucks county LTCF. It was not needed for subsequent renewals though.
    I guess that's one of those "made up" requirements that they aren't supposed to get away with.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDuck View Post
    I'm assuming your daughter is age 21 or over, yes? She's an adult, a grown-up. The more Daddy keeps doing stuff for her, the less able she'll be to stand on her own two feet.

Have her go to the Lawrence County Sheriff's Office website, that'll tell her all she needs to do. A one-page application plus twenty bucks.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post

Eta: just read the link and it doesn't appear Lawrence county requires the police check card.
    This doesn't appear to be a requirement per § 6109. Licenses. (c) Form of application and content.

which reads;

The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. One of the following reasons for obtaining a firearm license shall be set forth in the application: self-defense, employment, hunting and fishing, target shooting, gun collecting or another proper reason. The application form shall be dated and signed by the applicant and shall contain the following statement:

I don't see any mention in this section of the title requiring a POLICE CHECK CARD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

^^THIS^^

This appears to be the only unlawful demand.

8. The 2 references required cannot be related and must live in Lawrence County.
    (NOTE: ALL APPLICANTS INCLUDING OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS, ARE REQUIRED TO
    HAVE TWO LAWRENCE COUNTY REFERENCES ALSO – NO EXCEPTIONS)

(Montgomery County)

Montco never "required" the police check card. They just were too lazy to do their own background check and would ask you to do a portion for them. If you refused, they would give you a hard time and tell you it would take up to 45 days for you to get your license.

Now, they don't even ask for the check card - but from what I've heard, they don't do "while you wait" licenses, either.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    Montco never "required" the police check card. They just were too lazy to do their own background check and would ask you to do a portion for them. If you refused, they would give you a hard time and tell you it would take up to 45 days for you to get your license.

Now, they don't even ask for the check card - but from what I've heard, they don't do "while you wait" licenses, either.
    In Erie Co., the license comes in the mail about a week later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast