Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default New Extractor Not Retaining Series 80 Plunger

My Taurus 1911 broke the extractor Sunday after over 16,000 rounds. Per recommendations from multiple others, I got an EGW Series 80 replacement. It arrived yesterday.

I installed the new part and the firing pin retainer, then checked the tension with both loaded and empty cases - all good. Took the retainer back out, reinstalled the Series 80 plunger and spring, firing pin and spring, and retainer.

Problem: The Series 80 plunger is not being retained in place. If I fit the new part by widening the slot for the retainer, allowing the extractor to ride more forward in the gun, the tension on the case will be lost. Not to mention, nothing would stop the extractor from moving back to the rear and having the problem again.

This is my competition gun. I am flying out early Thursday morning for the IDPA U.S. Nationals. The rules say all safeties must be in place and must work, so I can't just remove the plunger. I can cannibalize my carry gun for its extractor and take the plunger out of that one, but that's a last resort, since I like having the Series 80 safety.

All suggestions welcome.

(York County)

Default Re: New Extractor Not Retaining Series 80 Plunger

Whether you bought EGW's series 80 HD extractor or their Practical extractor, some fitting will be required. This is not a "drop in" part, as their are as many differences in 1911 fitment as their are 1911 manufactures. If you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, you might be lucky and able to find a local smith to do an emergency fitting.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Berks County)

If I fit the new part by widening the slot for the retainer, allowing the extractor to ride more forward in the gun, the tension on the case will be lost. Not to mention, nothing would stop the extractor from moving back to the rear and having the problem again.

That’s a bad idea, but you know that. That part is useless in that gun. You don’t have time. Swap extractors, if it works. If it don’t then use your carry gun, I assume it fits your holster.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    That’s a bad idea, but you know that. That part is useless in that gun. You don’t have time. Swap extractors, if it works. If it don’t then use your carry gun, I assume it fits your holster.
    Carry gun and match gun are twins, though not absolutely identical. I use my EDC holster and EDC belt in competition.

I did get thru to Taurus Customer Service yesterday. The part is $19.xx, and quick shipping is $19.xx, so for under $40 I've got a factory part on the way by Tuesday