My Taurus 1911 broke the extractor Sunday after over 16,000 rounds. Per recommendations from multiple others, I got an EGW Series 80 replacement. It arrived yesterday.

I installed the new part and the firing pin retainer, then checked the tension with both loaded and empty cases - all good. Took the retainer back out, reinstalled the Series 80 plunger and spring, firing pin and spring, and retainer.

Problem: The Series 80 plunger is not being retained in place. If I fit the new part by widening the slot for the retainer, allowing the extractor to ride more forward in the gun, the tension on the case will be lost. Not to mention, nothing would stop the extractor from moving back to the rear and having the problem again.

This is my competition gun. I am flying out early Thursday morning for the IDPA U.S. Nationals. The rules say all safeties must be in place and must work, so I can't just remove the plunger. I can cannibalize my carry gun for its extractor and take the plunger out of that one, but that's a last resort, since I like having the Series 80 safety.

All suggestions welcome.