Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Default Re: Why Would You Buy a Derringer?

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    No, carry would not be recommended, firing one without hearing protection would cause all parties involved to go deaf.
    I'm probably misinterpreting your answer... I wasn't referring to carry of the 5.56/x39 variety. I meant I wouldn't carry one in any caliber. You say it would not be recommended. On behalf of the many who replied they would and/or do, why not?

Also not sure about the hearing protection part unless you meant to quote someone else.

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Why Would You Buy a Derringer?

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I'm probably misinterpreting your answer... I wasn't referring to carry of the 5.56/x39 variety. I meant I wouldn't carry one in any caliber. You say it would not be recommended. On behalf of the many who replied they would and/or do, why not?

Also not sure about the hearing protection part unless you meant to quote someone else.
    I was agreeing with you about not carrying one (the heizers at least). The hearing protection part being that if you are using one for defense, and you need to shoot it, you aren't going to have ear plugs in.

As for carrying any derringer I don't know that I am completely oppose to it, there are better guns out there but some of them (specifically the double actions) would be adequate as a backup or summertime heat gun. I carried an NAA .22lr for years, and only stopped after breaking the pocket clip for the 4th or 5th time.

You never really know what to carry, because you don't know what the situation will be when you need it. I would never knowingly enter a gunfight with a .38 snubby either, but there are plenty of situations where one would be sufficient.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567