Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default Re: Why Would You Buy a Derringer?

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Heizer Defense makes one in 7.62x39, the "Pocket AK"
    Same gun, the barrels are interchangeable so you can swap between .223, x39, and .410/.45 lc.

What I noticed is that they only offer the x39 with a ported barrel, what does that tell you about it's recoil?

Still, if I found one for the same price as I got the .223 I would do it in a heartbeat.

Good point. I'd be more likely to buy one in 5.56, .410 or x39 than in the common caliber. I probably wouldn't carry it in any configuration but I seem to have acquired a thing for novelty guns.

On the topic of Heizer... I'm pretty sure I have at least a dozen semi auto options that are no larger. It's a 'big" gun for a 2 shot. Most of your single stack compact autos will compete when it comes to a size contest. They'll probably win when you start throwing them on a scale.

I have a cobra in 38spl, I used to carry it alot, but now is stays in my fishing life vest, so I wouldn't care if it got lost in a canoeing accident.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Good point. I'd be more likely to buy one in 5.56, .410 or x39 than in the common caliber. I probably wouldn't carry it in any configuration but I seem to have acquired a thing for novelty guns.
    No, carry would not be recommended, firing one without hearing protection would cause all parties involved to go deaf.

I don't have one but wouldn't poo poo someone for having one. I have some "useless" guns because....well...they ARE guns and I find them interesting for one reason or another. Maybe I will pick one up some day "just because". Right now, with two teens, I don't have much "just because" cash on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    No, carry would not be recommended, firing one without hearing protection would cause all parties involved to go deaf.
    Nah I fired 1 round of 7.62x39 out of a 3" barrel indoors without earpro and only couldn't hear for a day

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I don't have one but wouldn't poo poo someone for having one. I have some "useless" guns because....well...they ARE guns and I find them interesting for one reason or another. Maybe I will pick one up some day "just because". Right now, with two teens, I don't have much "just because" cash on hand.
    I wouldn't consider derringers to be useless. Limited, yes. But not useless.

.22 mag, .32 and .380 in the Cobra/Davis guns and even the NAA Pug/Black Widow pistols have a little niche where they legitimately fit, based on ones acrivities. Most folks won't ever use them. But they do make a great tackle box/fishing vest/bib pocket gun. They'd also be good for folks who want something light to carry while running.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Delaware County)

I had a Davis in .32. Essentially it's what they called a "belly gun" in the old West days. Incredibly inaccurate at ranges over a yard, so the belly gun designation (only good if you stick it in your opponent's belly and fire) is fairly accurate. I've hefted the Bond Arms derringers and found them too big and heavy to have any role but novelty gun for me. The Davis has the advantage of being able to conceal in locations too small for even the lightest of normal carry guns and still allow for a larger caliber than .22.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Bucks County)

I know a guy who had the over/under derringer that came in a wallet with a hole for access to the trigger...until BATFE declared the set-up illegal.

Knew another guy who had a little .22 revolver hanging on a cord from his neck, down behind his shirt. Never knew he did that until he showed me one day. Great concealment. Didn't ask him if he has mastered quick draw.

I thought of buying one earlier this year, but some of the ones on the market are larger than I had thought. Would love a small gun as a carry piece, even if it was just 2 shots.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast