Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Able to shoot at the Range even if unable to own

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    There is the question about being a habitual drunkard or using illegal drugs. What if you stop drinking or using drugs? How long do to have to be sober before you are good to go?
    That question (11.e.) is on the form 4473 for buying a firearm (doesn't say habitual drunkard but does say about using depressants, which alcohol is). There is no form to fill out if you want to go to the range with a gun owner and shoot their firearm. The OP is doing his due diligence with the question, but the question to be answered is: Has she actually, in a court of law, been convicted of a crime that makes her a prohibited person? The OP's opening statement sort of alludes to that but he didn't actually state that she had been convicted of any crimes.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I don't see the issue if she hasn't been convicted of a prohibitive offense. Being an addict in of itself is not prohibitive, only for purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I don't see the issue if she hasn't been convicted of a prohibitive offense. Being an addict in of itself is not prohibitive, only for purchase.
    That's what I was wondering. I thought if you weren't allowed to buy, you were prohibited.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Berks County)

Nice to look at, better to hold, put your hands on this fucker, in jail you'll grow old...unless you're a Philthytown hoodlum.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Mifflin County)

Original post says ": Unable to own" sounds like a NO to me ???

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    Original post says ": Unable to own" sounds like a NO to me ???
    To me, it sounds like the OP does not actually know the law so he may be assuming that because she was into drugs that she can't own, thus can't shoot. Still need the answer to: Has she been CONVICTED of a prohibiting offense??

If she WAS addicted to drugs and now has stopped using drugs AND has no convictions that prohibit her from owning a firearm then she can purchase and/or shoot firearms.

4473 question 11.e. says "Are you an unlawful user of or addicted to... (this is present tense - meaning "at this time") it doesn't say "Have you ever been an unlawful user or addicted to..." - which would be past tense.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; September 6th, 2018 at 01:23 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

NO!!!

No access means no touch, no lick, no shoot.. also means when visiting in your abode you must secure all firearms so they have no access to them
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    To me, it sounds like the OP does not actually know the law so he may be assuming that because she was into drugs that she can't own, thus can't shoot. Still need the answer to: Has she been CONVICTED of a prohibiting offense??

That's the way I took it as well.

(Berks County)

On this topic I now have a question. What if I'm carrying and a prohibited person wants me to give him a ride (asking for a friend).
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

The Federal prohibition does not require a criminal conviction for illegal drugs - its also applies to those addicted to illegal drugs. Whether a "recovering addict" is still considered addicted is unclear.

18 USC §922:
    (g) It shall be unlawful for any person-

(1) who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;

(2) who is a fugitive from justice;

(3) who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

(4) who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution;

(5) who, being an alien-

(A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or

(B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)));
    (6) who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;

(7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship;

(8) who is subject to a court order that-

(A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had an opportunity to participate;

(B) restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child; and

(C)(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or

(ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury; or
    (9) who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence,

to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
    IANAL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast