Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Able to shoot at the Range even if unable to own

Greg,
    The way you have written it, that would be a YES answer. That is why I've wanted a clear and concise answer from the OP about what his fiance was convicted of and what the sentence was (if anything). And for clarification, the way Question 11.e is asked "Are you an unlawful user of... this is present tense. It does not say "Are you now or were you ever an unlawful user..." So a recovering addict, who has never been convicted of a prohibiting crime, could buy/own/possess/shoot firearms. Again, the OP never answered the question.

Troll maybe?
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Facts from the OPs scenario aside,

Do we all agree that there is NO scenario where one can be actually prohibited/disqualified from purchase, but allowed to possess/shoot someone else's gun?

Either you're legally clear to have your own, or you're not, and that means you can't possess someone else's either.

Yes?
    I agree .

(Chester County)

There are ranges where you can rent a gun and shoot. I don't recall seeing them do a PICS check on customers who are renting. Am I missing something?
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    There are ranges where you can rent a gun and shoot. I don't recall seeing them do a PICS check on customers who are renting. Am I missing something?
    Every rental place I have knowledge of makes a copy of your ID and has you sign paperwork attesting your non-prohibited status. If someone lies, at least the business is covered on their end.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    You cannot do a PICS check on someone who is not purchasing/receiving a firearm (as in a private sale). All firearm rental businesses I have been to/know of have the renter sign a form attesting they are not prohibited from possessing firearms and that they cannot hold the range responsible for any mishaps (unless the range is negligent).

(York County)

I definitely was not expecting such a lengthy discussion. Thank you all for answering. It has been a few years, but yes, she has been convicted of a few misdemeanor possession/ paraphernalia charges with jail time possible of over a year. I was looking for if there was a distinction, within the law, of owning vs. going to a range where they rented a weapon to fire there, thus she would not handle one out of a controlled environment. I definitely do not want her to get into any trouble over an activity that I enjoy, so will go with the better safe than sorry approach and not take her.

(Centre County)

Monty83 -
    If she was convicted of state misdemeanors and the sentences COULD HAVE BEEN more than 2 years, she is prohibited. If the sentences COULD HAVE BEEN 2 years or less than 2 years, she is not prohibited. If she was convicted of a FELONY, with imprisonment of 1 year or more, no matter what she actually received, she is prohibited.

I capitalized the "could have been" because those are the main words of the question 11.c. on the 4473 (and in the instructions). It doesn't matter what she actually received, it matters what she COULD HAVE BEEN sentenced to.

Sorry to have labeled you a possible troll Typically, when someone asks this type of question, they reply fast and often with follow up questions/remarks. If they ask this type of question and never post again then we suspect a troll, especially from the anti-gunners trying to get forum members to suggest illegal or ill-advised solutions.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; September 17th, 2018 at 02:13 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You cannot do a PICS check on someone who is not purchasing/receiving a firearm (as in a private sale). All firearm rental businesses I have been to/know of have the renter sign a form attesting they are not prohibited from possessing firearms and that they cannot hold the range responsible for any mishaps (unless the range is negligent).
    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Every rental place I have knowledge of makes a copy of your ID and has you sign paperwork attesting your non-prohibited status. If someone lies, at least the business is covered on their end.
    This is pretty much what I have seen also. It just seems incongruent with the law as we understand it, especially with the antis' penchant for stings.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234